Yong Tau Foo in Black Bean Sauce
When cooking the yong tau foo (ytf) pieces, note that cooking time will vary for different types of ytf. For example, the thinner slices will cook faster, so take them out earlier as they are cooked.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 12 mins
- 350g yong tau foo (about 15 pieces or so)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp fermented black beans rinsed, patted dry, mashed slightly with fork
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chilli padi sliced
- 1 tsp hot bean sauce/la dou ban jiang (辣豆瓣酱)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- cornstarch solution (1 tsp cornstarch mix with 2 tsp water)
- Cook yong tau foo pieces in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in claypot or wok and stir fry fermented black beans, garlic and chilli until fragrant.
- Add spicy bean sauce, oyster sauce and water to the casserole, stir evenly to form a paste.
- Add the blanched yong tau foo pieces and stir to coat them well in the sauce. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch solution.
Noob Cook Tips
- For a cheaters, no-fuss version, you can use store-bought sauce such as Lee Kum Kee spicy black bean sauce. I personally prefer home-made version as you can tweak the sauce to your liking.
- For best results, cook and serve this dish in a claypot.