Stir-fry Scallops with XO Sauce
by wiffy on February 22, 2012
I love XO Sauce and I truly believe that every cook into Chinese cooking should have a bottle in the kitchen. Well at least in my pantry, I am never without it. XO Sauce is a gourmet Cantonese seafood sauce made up of dried scallops & dried shrimps among other ingredients, and it can be eaten on its own as a condiment or used in stir-fries. Whenever I need to wok something in a hurry, I used XO Sauce as the base and I will most certainly be ensured a restaurant-quality and luxurious Chinese dish with minimum effort and preparation. So far, I have used XO Sauce in my stir-fries and fried rice, to great reviews from my family. In this dish, I stir fry fresh scallops, carrots and snow peas with the XO sauce.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
Even though a bottle of XO Sauce is pricey (about S$20 a bottle; see photo on page 2) due to the dried scallops, a little goes a long way in cooking. Dishes with XO Sauce are definitely premiumly priced at restaurants, and it is so much cheaper when used in home cooking. If you like XO sauce, check out my stir-fry prawns with XO Sauce recipe.
Stir-fry Scallops with XO Sauce Recipe
- Serves: 3-4
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 8 mins
XO Sauce is a gourmet Cantonese seafood sauce made up of dried scallops & dried shrimps among other ingredients, and it can be eaten on its own as a condiment or used in stir-fries.
- 250 grams large scallops if using frozen, thaw before use
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp + 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 slices ginger sliced thinly
- 50 grams snow peas strings removed and ends trimmed
- 1/2 carrot peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 stalk celery sliced to thin strips
- 2 tbsp XO Sauce
- Marinade scallops in corn starch, sesame oil and 1 tsp of oyster sauce for 10 minutes.
- Heat wok with cooking oil and stir fry ginger for 30 seconds.
- Add scallops, snow peas and carrots; stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add celery strips, 2 tbsp XO sauce and 1 tbsp oyster sauce; stir fry until the scallops are cooked and the sauce is evenly mixed. Serve with steamed rice.
(Get more photos, ingredients list and cooking notes on page 2)
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|