XO Sauce Noodles
XO Sauce Noodles
This is the XO Sauce version of Zha Jiang Miang (Chinese fried meat sauce noodles). It always handy to have a bottle of XO sauce in the kitchen, where it can be eaten on its own as a condiment or used in stir-fries.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 200 grams minced pork may substitute with chicken
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 5 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 slices ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms stalks removed; diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 50 grams baby bok choy (xiao bai cai, 小白菜)
- 4 servings Shanghai noodles or fine Mee Suah
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 3 tbsp XO Sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shao Hsing)
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- a few dashes white pepper powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- In a bowl, marinade minced meat with (A) for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in wok and add shallots & ginger; stir-fry until shallots are softened and fragrant. Add minced garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add diced mushrooms and marinated meat. Stir fry until the meat is cooked on the surface, breaking the mince to smaller pieces using a frying turner/spatula.
- Add 1/2 cup water, simmer on low heat with lid on for about 5 minutes, or until the meat sauce liquid is reduced. Set aside the cooked minced meat topping.
- In a pot of water with some cooking oil added, blanch baby boy choy for about 20 seconds, followed by noodles according to timing indicated on packaging. Set aside.
- Toss 1 serving of noodles with about 3 tbsp of meat sauce, adding some water used to cook the noodles to help bind the ingredients together if the noodles are too dry.
- Transfer meat noodles to serving dish and top with blanched greens and spring onions. Serve with a side condiment of XO sauce.