XO Sauce Noodles
I always have a bottle of XO Sauce (Cantonese seafood sauce; see photo on page 2) in the fridge, so I like to think of new uses for this ingredient. So far I have made XO Sauce Scallops, XO Sauce Prawns, and XO Sauce Fried Rice. This XO sauce minced meat noodles is my lazy, quick & simplified version of zha jiang mian 炸酱面 (popular Northern China dish; fried meat sauce noodles). The result tastes gourmet, thanks to the XO Sauce. It definitely makes a quick and balanced one-dish meal with the blanched greens at the side. If you love XO Sauce, check out all recipes using XO Sauce.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
XO Sauce Noodles
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
XO Sauce is a gourmet Cantonese seafood sauce made up of dried scallops & dried shrimps among other ingredients, and it can be eaten on its own as a condiment or used in stir-fries.
- 200 grams minced pork may substitute with chicken
- 3 tbsp XO Sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shao Hsing)
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- a few dashes white pepper powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 5 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 slices ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms stalks removed & diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 50 grams baby bok choy (xiao bai cai, 小白菜)
- 4 servings Shanghai noodles or Taiwan Mee Suah
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- In a bowl, mix minced meat with marinade ingredients - XO Sauce, dark soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Chinese wine, corn starch, sesame oil, white pepper and sugar - for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in wok and add shallots & ginger; stir-fry until shallots are softened and fragrant. Add minced garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add diced mushrooms and marinated meat. Stir fry until the meat is cooked on the surface, breaking the mince to smaller pieces using a frying turner/spatula.
- Add 1/2 cup water, simmer on low heat with lid on for about 5 minutes, or until the meat sauce liquid is reduced. Set aside the cooked minced meat topping.
- In a pot of water with some cooking oil added, blanch baby boy choy for about 20 seconds, followed by noodles according to timing indicated on packaging. Set aside.
- Toss 1 serving of noodles with about 3 tbsp of meat sauce, adding some water used to cook the noodles to help bind the ingredients together if the noodles are too dry.
- Transfer meat noodles to serving dish and top with blanched greens and spring onions. Serve with a side condiment of XO sauce.
Get more photos and cooking notes on page 2.
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|