Thai Fish Cakes
Thai Fish Cakes Recipe
You may use instant fish paste sold at the supermarket as a short-cut for this recipe, though I personally prefer using fresh fish fillets for this recipe. If you do not have a blender (step 1), finely chop/mince the fish meat first before combining the fish paste ingredients in a bowl.
Serves: 2-3 (makes 8 fish cakes)
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 150 grams white-flesh fish meat
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp corn flour (corn starch)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves finely snipped
- 5 French beans ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- vegetable oil for deep frying; enough to submerge the fish cakes
- 1 tsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Thai sweet chilli
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts pounded
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cucumbers
- In a blender, pulse together fish, curry paste, egg, corn flour and lime leaves until a smooth paste is formed. Add chopped French beans to fish paste and mix in evenly. Divide and shape fish paste to 8 round fish cakes.
- Heat oil in wok, deep fryer or pot to 180°C (356°F). Deep fry fish cakes in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain excess oil on tempura paper before serving.
- Prepare dipping sauce by mixing fish sauce and Thai sweet chilli. Transfer to a dipping saucer and top with peanuts and cucumbers.