Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe

XO Sauce Prawns

XO Sauce Prawns

Check Out: XO Sauce Scallops Recipe

With Chinese New Year around the corner, many people are including prawns in their menu because the word sounds like “ha” in Cantonese and some other Chinese dialects, symbolizing laughter (笑 “哈哈”) and happiness. This is an easy and quick recipe for prawns stir-fried in XO Sauce.  XO Sauce is a seafood sauce popular in Cantonese cuisine, and it is a sauce I recently started to use and really like. It’s slightly pricey because of the presence of dried scallops. To me, it is a god-sent sauce for stir frying, especially for a lazy cook like me. Foods coated in XO sauce just taste good. With the yummy sauce, you don’t need a lot of other marinades and condiments to season the food.

XO Sauce Prawns

30 Responses to “XO Sauce Prawns”

1. mochachocolatarita — January 25, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

OMG! I just did this dish too…will post soon ;)

2. tigerfish — January 25, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

You are right! Food coated with XO sauce taste good!

3. Christine@Christine's Recipes — January 25, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

I love prawns 蝦 very much, Ha!
    You’re right. It’s very good to have 蝦 for Chinese New Year. The name, the taste and the looking, all are best. I’m going to make a dish of stir fried prawns this year too.

4. Quay Po Cooks — January 25, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

I have a jar of XO sauce handy and I love prawns. I got to make this! Your picture is fabulous!

5. blackbookkitchendiaries — January 26, 2011 @ 7:15 am

this dish sounds so yummy! stir fry prawns are alway a big hit at my home.

6. Little Corner of Mine — January 27, 2011 @ 2:06 am

Lovely! I like anything in XO sauce.

7. food-4tots — January 27, 2011 @ 2:16 am

XO sauce is my favourite. I added some whenever I ate my dried shrimp noodles. It’s a great idea to use it for stir-fry. I bet this dish is full of flavour and perfect for this CNY.

8. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — January 27, 2011 @ 2:37 am

Fast shrimp dishes are a favorite of mine! I’ve actually never had XO sauce before and would love to give it a shot.

9. JQ — January 28, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

May I know which brand of XO sauce do you use? =)

• wiffy replied: — February 3rd, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Hi JQ, sorry for my late reply. I bought my XO Sauce from Hong Kong, it’s a brand called 樓上 http://www.hkjebn.com/en/index.php. In Singapore, I think Lee Kum Kee is a good brand :)

10. Cat @ ButteryBakery — February 1, 2011 @ 1:32 am

Can you use XO with tofu?

• wiffy replied: — February 3rd, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Hi Cat, sometimes I add fried bean curd (tau kwa) pieces to my stir fry with XO Sauce before, and I liked it.