by wiffy on September 10, 2012
I have strangely avoided stir-fried cabbage my whole life, only to fall in love with it recently after eating a very delicious version at a zichar stall. Cabbage (the round one which is also called Beijing cabbage/高丽菜; not to be confused with the longish cabbage aka napa cabbage), like chayote, keeps well in the fridge, so nowadays I like to sneak it into my weekly groceries and cook them towards the end of the week. I added shiitake mushrooms, spring onions and carrots to my stir-fry cabbage, as I have these ingredients in my fridge at all times. Cabbage, when cooked right (not too raw and not overcooked) has a natural sweetness and mild crunch. It is a really healthy and delicious side-dish to complement any Chinese home-cooked meal. If you have chicken or vegetable stock, you can use it in place of the seasonings for a quicker and even more fuss-free cooking.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
More Cabbage Ideas:
Stir-fry Cabbage with Eggs
Check out all cabbage recipes.
Chinese Cabbage Soup Recipe
|Curry Vegetables Recipe|
Stir-fried Cabbage Recipe
- Serves: 2-3
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
The cabbage used in this recipe is the round head type (aka gaolicai/高丽菜) and not the longish type aka napa cabbage. Cabbage, when cooked right (not too raw and not overcooked) has a natural sweetness and mild crunch. It is a really healthy and delicious side-dish to complement any Chinese home-cooked meal.
- 1 tbsp dried shrimps (heibi/虾米)
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 dashes white pepper powder to taste
- 1.5 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 slices ginger sliced to thin strips
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms ends trimmed & discarded; caps sliced thinly
- 250 grams or half a head cabbage (Beijing Cabbage/高丽菜/卷心菜 ) sliced to 2-cm width
- 1/2 carrot peeled and thinly shredded
- 2-3 stalks spring onions (green part only) sliced to 5-cm length
- 1-2 tbsp Chinese wine
- Rinse dried shrimps and soak them with 1/3 cup hot water in a small bowl until softened. Drain the dried shrimps, setting aside the soaking water. Pat dry the shrimps with kitchen towel.
- Mix soaking water reserved in step 1 with light soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in wok; stir fry ginger and dried shrimps until the latter is fragrant. Add garlic and stir fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms. Stir fry for 1 minute, or until they start to soften.
- Add cabbage and stir fry until they start to soften. Add sauce ingredients prepared in step 2. Stir to coat evenly, cover with lid and allow to simmer on low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add carrot, spring onions and cooking wine. Stir-fry briefly to toss the ingredients evenly together. Serve with steamed rice.
Get the step-by-step photos and cooking notes for Stir-fry Cabbage on page 2.
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|