Stir-fried Asparagus in Sriracha Chilli
by wiffy on April 28, 2011
This is a very easy recipe for stir-fried asparagus. As a spicy food lover, I couldn’t resist adding sriracha chilli (chili) to the stir fry for some fiery kick. Besides being a spicy sauce condiment, this is an excellent sauce for stir-fries. My favourite brand of sriracha chilli is the Huy Fong brand which I discovered while holidaying in the States (many Vietnamese restaurants use this brand, and it is delightfully spicy). If you can’t find this chilli, you can substitute with other hot sauces you have in your pantry.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
A note about the Huy Fong sriracha chilli. It is a made-in-USA Vietnamese chilli sauce. This bottle is really cheap in the States (it’s less than US$5 per bottle and much less if you buy in bulk) but darn expensive in Singapore (some chap brought it into Singapore for S$20-30 per bottle and I knew about it only because they tried to spam the comments section of my blog). I also see this chilli on sale when I shop at the Asian communities of western countries such as Australia. So if you are wish to try out this chilli in Singapore, my advice (unless someone brings it at decent prices) is to either ship it in directly from US, buy it while on holiday, or ask your loved ones to bring a bottle back for you while they are overseas.
- 500g thin asparagus
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- roasted sesame seeds (optional)
Sauce (mix well)
- 1 tbsp sriracha chilli (adjust according to spiciness desired)
- 3/4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
1. Trim (or snap) and discard the lower ends of the asparagus spears. Using a vegetable peeler, shave and discard the outer skin of the stalk. For step-by-step photos on how to prep asparagus before cooking, please refer to this tutorial.
2. Heat oil in wok and stir fry garlic until fragrant.
3. Add asparagus to the wok, followed by the sauce. Stir fry for a brief few minutes until asparagus are cooked and well coated in the sauce. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seed if desired.
- How to Prepare Asparagus
Who’s also Cooking with Sriracha
- 28 Cooks: Chili Garlic Edamame
- Kalyn’s Kitchen: Stir-Fried Sugar Snap Peas with Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, and Sriracha
Fancy more asparagus recipes?
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|