Hot & Sour Lemon Prawns Recipe How to de-vein shell-on prawns Shiitake Mushroom Stew Recipe Stir-fry Cucumber, Mince & Prawn Recipe Chicken Soba Noodle Stir-fry Recipe Avocado Shrimp Pasta Recipe

Steamed Prawns with Garlic

Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe

First posted in Jul 2010, updated in Feb 2017.

Steamed Prawns with Garlic is a very simple homely dish. Chinese restaurants always charge a premium for seafood dishes. The home-made version costs a small fraction of what the restaurants are charging.

See Also:

Besides being cheaper, this is one dish you can cook at home easily and quickly, since prawns cook really fast (less than 5 minutes).

Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe

If you love garlic as much as I do, you will understand the amount of garlic I used in this dish. But if you find that the garlic is too much or spicy for your liking, you can reduce the amount according to taste.  For best results, use fresh garlic and chop them yourself, instead of using instant bottled garlic. Also try to use bigger prawns for this dish because it will be easier to butterfly them and to stuff the garlic mixture into the cavity. See the step-by-step pictures below.

Click on photo to view full size
Printable Recipe >>
Note: Ingredients, seasonings and measurements are at the “Printable Recipe” link above.
 Butterflied Prawn Clean and butterfly the prawns by making a top slit across the back to the tail end of the prawn, removing the veins, and cutting a little deeper to make a cavity. Click here for detailed step-by-step pics.
 Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe Drizzle Chinese wine over the prawns cavity.
Freshly chopped garlic In this dish, the garlic is the star. So for best results, use freshly chopped garlic (I used an electric chopper as a short-cut).
Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe Prepare the garlic mixture in a small bowl.
 Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe Fill the prawns cavity with the garlic mixture.
 Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe These are what the garlic-stuffed prawns look like, before steaming.
Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe Steam over high heat until the prawns are cooked (just a few minutes; do not overcook). Garnish with coriander and serve.

54 Responses to “Steamed Prawns with Garlic”

1. zakashi — July 20, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

My husband and my children said wow when they saw how beautiful the prawns were being displayed just like the picture as shown. They enjoyed eating the prawns. Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — July 22nd, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

glad to hear that… thanks for your note :)

2. Kimmie — July 24, 2010 @ 6:38 am

wow.. LOOKS GREAT.. i will def make this dish.. but i would chopped up ginger with the garlic and stuff it in.. and i’d lined the bottom with glass noodle (the thin clear ones) and vegies so its a meal in one :D

the glass noodles absorb the flavors of the shrimp and garlic.. try it..:)

• wiffy replied: — July 24th, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

Hi Kimmie, that’s a VERY good idea… I think I will totally try this out, can never pass on a one-dish meal idea. Thanks so much for sharing :)

3. Mei Teng — July 24, 2010 @ 9:12 am

The prawns looked so delicious. Excellent photo.

4. Candice — August 11, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Thanks for this wonderful receipe… Success on first attempt :) Phew!!

This is a very appetitizing colourful dish!

Your step-by-step photos are really excellence checking points – ensuring that I am on the right track…In fact, I shifted my laptop to the kitchen while preparing the dish :)

Thanks!!

5. Esther — October 12, 2010 @ 4:37 am

Thanks for the recipe! I made this today and it was amazing!

6. sarah razali — August 27, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

delicious! u can use 7up soft drink to replace wine. Try it

1. Pingback: I mean I want to see » Blog Archive » All things bright and beautiful…

2. Pingback: I mean I want to see » Blog Archive » 恭喜恭喜 :-)

3. Pingback: Steamed Cockles with Garlic & Chilli Recipe

4. Pingback: Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe | Spring Tomorrow Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe | Savouring the Little Moments in Life | Singapore Lifestyle, Cooking & Food Blog