Steamed Prawns with Garlic
Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe
For best results, use fresh garlic and chop them yourself, instead of using instant bottled garlic. Use bigger prawns for this recipe because it is easier to butterfly them and to stuff the garlic mixture into the cavity.
Prawns cook very quickly (few minutes), do not over-cook them or they will become hard and chewy.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
- 6 to 8 large prawns (shrimps) at least 10 grams each
- 5 slices ginger
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- coriander garnish; optional
(A) Garlic Mixture (mix well in a small bowl)
- Trim the sharp edges off the prawns. Butterfly the prawns by making a top slit across the back to the tail end of the prawn, removing the veins, and cutting a little deeper to make a cavity. Click here for detailed step-by-step pics.
- Arrange butterflied prawns on top some ginger slices in a deep steaming plate. Drizzle Shaoxing wine over the prawns cavity.
- In a small bowl, combine (A) to make the garlic mixture and fill the prawns cavity with it.
- Steam over high heat until the prawns are cooked (just a few minutes; do not overcook). Garnish with coriander and serve.