Steamed Egg Tofu with Minced Meat and Wolfberry
Recently, I love to steam foods because I’m not in the mood for heavy duty cooking. Not only do steamed foods cook very fast, it is also healthier and the clean up is easier (not greasy). And this is one of my latest successful kitchen experiment. These bite-sized tofu pieces are pretty to look at and easy to eat. I used egg tofu instead of normal tofu because it is easier to cut them to uniform sizes (tried with a rectangular block of tofu and I cut them badly) and it’s also more fragrant with egg added to the tofu. But if you do not eat egg, you can always use white silken tofu.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
- 1 tube silken egg tofu 蛋豆腐 (150g)
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 15 wolfberries, soaked in water till puffy (about 20 minutes)
- 1/2 stalk spring onion, sliced thinly or cut to wispy strips
(A) Meat and marinade
- 50g minced pork (can substitute with chicken)
- 1/2 stalk spring onion, sliced thinly
- a few thin carrot slices (peeled using a vegetable peeler, stacked together and finely chopped)
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornflour
- dash of white pepper powder
- 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
1. Cut egg tofu in half along the “dotted line” (if any), remove packaging and cut to thin and even slices (see detailed step by step photos). Arrange tofu pieces on a steaming plate (with a bit of depth).
2. Mix ingredients in (A) evenly in a small bowl and allow to sit for at least a few minutes.
3. Mould a small amount of the marinaded meat mixture (about 1 tsp or less) into a ball and place on top of tofu slices. Top each meat ball with a wolfberry. Drizzle 1/2 tbsp light soy over the tofu slices.
4. Steam over high heat for about 5 minutes (starting from the time the water in steamer is boiling), or until the meat is cooked (see cooking note 1 below). Before serving, use a spoon to drizzle the soy liquid collected in the plate over the tofu slices. Garnish with chopped spring onions.
1. Water Chestnuts For more crunch, you can add 1 fresh water chestnut, peeled and finely chopped into mixture (A).
2. Chopped Prawns (shrimps) You can also add 1 to 2 prawns (peeled and veins removed), and then chopped finely to mixture (A).
3. Silken Tofu You can substitute egg tofu with white silken tofu.
1. To test if the meat is cooked, insert a fork or skewer into the meat to make sure the juices are clear (no blood).
- Ingredient: Egg Tofu
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|