Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Steamed Chicken Rice

Steamed Chicken Rice
My home-cooked Chicken rice – complete with condiments (chilli sauce, ginger sauce) and herbal (dang gui) chicken soup.

This is my take on perhaps Singapore’s most popular food, the Hainanese chicken rice. I think Hainanese chicken rice is arguably our most famous national dish. My way of preparing chicken rice is “almost Hainanese”, because the method of preparing the chicken is not quite Hainanese way of dipping in hot water to gently cook the chicken, or the more Singaporean way of boiling the chicken. Instead, I steamed the chicken, which is how my mum prepares her chicken rice. This method is easy, and yet it still retains the juiciness of the chicken. Somehow, the taste is close.

Steamed Chicken Rice
Steamed Chicken Rice

Get the printable recipe for Steamed Chicken Rice on page 2.

66 Responses to “Steamed Chicken Rice”

1. peachkins — July 29, 2009 @ 1:19 pm

I love Hainanese Chicken and I love this recipe!!

2. Small Small Baker — July 29, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

This is awesome! Great recipe, detailed writeup and nice photos. Any magazine editors here? Must feature noobcook in a food magazine one day. You must have taken days to finish writing this. :)

• wiffy replied: — July 30th, 2009 @ 9:55 am

lol you are too kind. I’m just a noob!

3. didally — July 29, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

Wow, home-made chicken rice, I’m impressed! It’s a lot of work, yah? Making the sauces, rice and chicken all from scratch. :up:

I love ginger sauce!! My all time favorite from Soup Restaurant. :P

• wiffy replied: — July 30th, 2009 @ 9:56 am

It’s a lot of work yes! but I think it is worth it coz the home cooked taste is unique :D yes I considered buying their bottled ginger sauce before :P

4. dhanggit — July 29, 2009 @ 5:10 pm

as usual magnificent photos!! and i hear my stomach rumbling!! shouting to feed with these delights!! yummy

5. The one we went was actually the simple down to earth style but not hotel ones. I forgot the name of the place but packed with ppl, said to be one of the best in S’pore : ). My mom also steam chicken instead of simmer in water : )

• wiffy replied: — July 30th, 2009 @ 9:56 am

wahhhh … I must look for this stall next time. hehe

6. tigerfish — July 29, 2009 @ 8:03 pm

Slurp! Even your condiments are complete. Our home…we only make chili for chicken rice.

7. Farina — July 29, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

That is good food!

8. Juliana — July 30, 2009 @ 4:36 am

Love this kind of chicken…steamed…with the condiments…yummie!

9. mycookinghut — July 30, 2009 @ 5:27 am

My mom also steam the chicken instead of boiling! I think that way, it preserves the taste of the chicken, which is great! And she likes to use kampong chicken too! I absolutely agree with you that making our own is rather more satisfying.. ehhehe :)
    I really really think that your hainanese chicken looks yummy!!! Please email one portion :P

• wiffy replied: — July 30th, 2009 @ 9:57 am

Now I know people who steam their chicken as well! before that, all the recipes I searched requires dipping in hot water/boiling. Thanks for your kind words :-)

10. lisaiscooking — July 30, 2009 @ 5:49 am

This sounds so delicious! I’d love to try making it. The homemade condiments look perfect.

• wiffy replied: — July 30th, 2009 @ 9:59 am

Thanks! I think the supporting actors here (condiments) are as important as the main cast (rice and chicken), haha