Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe

Steamed Chicken Herbal Soup

Steamed Herbal Chicken Soup

Check Out: Steamed Chicken with Salted Fish

This is a lazy recipe for chicken herbal soup cooked via steaming instead of the usual simmering method. I just came back from holiday and caught a cold, so I was not really in the mood for cooking anything fancy. I was just yearning to drink some nourishing home-made chicken soup but since there is no one to cook it for me, I use this short cut and equally good method to get rich herbal chicken soup. For convenience, I used a packet of pre-packed Chinese herbs for stewing chicken soup (in this case I used half a packet for half a chicken). Since less water is used, the soup is concentrated and rich.

Steamed Herbal Chicken Soup

Straight off the steamer

I’m too lazy to cut the chicken so I used a half chicken (butterflied cut) and steamed it together (uncut) with the Chinese herbs, and when cooked, the meat should come off the bones quite easily. I roughly shred the meat using spoon and fork, then transfer the soup and shredded chicken meat into a soup bowl – it really looks more like a stewed soup than a steamed chicken dish when you “repackaged” it this way. The recipe makes two bowls of soup for two.

15 Responses to “Steamed Chicken Herbal Soup”

1. Nasi Lemak Lover — September 29, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

i still have a pkt of herbs, look like this is a perfect recipe for me, i’m lazy too! hehehe, Thanks for sharing.

2. tigerfish — September 30, 2011 @ 12:22 am

Hope you are feeling better. I can totally empathize with you. I had to cook for myself even though I was injured, had only “one” arm and even when I was supposed to rest :( …bo bian…..

Drinking more soups is good – help you replenish the much needed energy. Take care.

• wiffy replied: — October 4th, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

I can’t imagine cooking with one arm, you are really good! But I also understand that it’s difficult to not do anything for a whole month, for me especially online. Hope you recover 100% soon :)

3. daphne — September 30, 2011 @ 10:07 am

I am having some gastric issues so this soup would be so perfect for me now! Hope you are feeling better though and that someone is cooking for you!!!!

• wiffy replied: — October 4th, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

never will have anyone cooking for me, unless I eat out!!

4. anna chia — September 30, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Hope you are better!

• wiffy replied: — October 4th, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

Thanks :)

5. Little Corner of Mine — October 1, 2011 @ 3:59 am

What a great dish! I have all these herbs but I never combine them before, guess it’s time to give it a try!

6. HoppingHammy — October 3, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

It looks so pretty, but it’s surprising to hear it was not a lot of fuss to make! I hope you are feeling better now!

• wiffy replied: — October 4th, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

thanks hopping, good to see ya :D

7. Lady G — November 2, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

I love herbal soup of any kind, my favorite was Chicken and Dong Quai Soup, this one looks really nice too.

8. Platanos, Mangoes & Me! — November 10, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

This soups sounds and looks fantastic. I can smell it from here.

1. Pingback: Chinese Chicken Herbal Soup η‚–ιΈ‘ζ±€