Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Chinese Spinach in Superior Broth

Spinach in Superior Broth

Check Out: Stir-fried Chinese Spinach Recipe

Update (Nov 2013): First posted in Apr 2010, now updated with new photos & improved recipe.

I am calling this dish “spinach in superior broth” (上汤菠菜/苋菜) only because that is how our restaurants & zi char stalls name this dish. With a fancy name like that, of course the eateries charge premium for this dish, when the home-cooked version is actually inexpensive (under S$3!). What makes the home-cooked version “superior”, in my humble opinion, is the home-made ikan bilis stock which is natural and free from artificial flavourings & MSG. I love this dish thoroughly because it is both a vegetable and a soup dish in one. I make ikan bilis stock once a week and keep it in the fridge, so I have an instant soup base to whip this dish in a jiffy whenever I want to.

Spinach in Superior Broth

There are actually many variations for this dish – such as with wolfberries, salted eggs or a thicker soup (simply thicken the broth with cornstarch solution). Use your creativity to adapt this recipe!

73 Responses to “Chinese Spinach in Superior Broth”

1 2 3 6
  1. mochachocolatarita — April 13, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

wa~ looks amazing! and we normally only eat this kinda veggie dish in restaurants…

2. Nasi Lemak Lover — April 13, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

this is one of the veggie that I will order when we eat out in Chinese restaurant. Your look just good and delicious, like those serve outside..

3. tigerfish — April 13, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

I actually thought it look like English Spinach (which look like puay leng). Chinese and English Spinach should be suitable for this dish? hmmmm…..

Some restaurants cook with 3 different kinds of egg: century, salted and normal egg :D …also love them all.

• wiffy replied: — April 14th, 2010 @ 9:14 am

hehe I didn’t know English spinach can be used for this dish? The only times I had western varieties of spinach is in western salad and in spinach lasagna, and I didn’t like them at all because they tastes like beansprouts! 8O

• tigerfish replied: — April 14th, 2010 @ 10:39 am

The English Spinach I see in Cold Storage looks like Puay Leng leh….so very “chinese” too. I don’t mean those raw western spinach in salads. I don’t really like those too except baby spinach, maybe? which don’t taste like beansprouts. kekekeke…

• wiffy replied: — April 14th, 2010 @ 11:20 am

Then I have to check it out next time I go CS, been a long time since I shopped at CS :p (western) baby spinach also tastes a bit like beansprouts to me leh keke …

4. wyyv — April 13, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

A good dish to serve with white rice:) Nice one!

5. The Little Teochew — April 13, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

Gosh, I LOVE veggie done this way. Beautifully prepared, dearie! I like to cook Kow Kei this way too. :) Wiffy, next time try using salted egg yolk in addition to the century egg. Very creamy. :)

• wiffy replied: — April 17th, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

I just saw your kow kei recipe, looks good! just that I’ve never seen kow kei before. Shall look out for it in future :-)

6. jo — April 13, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

I love veggies cooked in this manner. Simple and so much flavour.

7. Angie's Recipes — April 13, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

I love this dish, esp. with lots of century eggs!

8. Lia Chen — April 13, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

Chinese spinach is my family’s favorite green veggie. Kids love it very much. I cook it very simple but your recipe is wonderful. Need to make this soon :up: :up: :up:

9. Elin — April 13, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Wow..this is what I have been looking for. I used to order this when ever we eat out and my Jo loves this. Thanks for putting this up :)

10. petite nyonya — April 13, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

I love this too! I was just flipping through one of my recipe books and it reminded me to make this soon. This is just delicious and I love it with more century eggs!! Looks so delicious!

1 2 3 5

1. Pingback: 24th & 25th week of cooking « A fulfilled life

2. Pingback: The day I ate my grandma’s spinach soup | Medium Red Potion

3. Pingback: Ikan Bilis Stock Recipe (Anchovies Stock Recipe)

4. Pingback: Stir-fried Spinach with Ikan Bilis Recipe