Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Chinese Spinach in Superior Broth

Spinach in Superior Broth

Check Out: Stir-fried Chinese Spinach Recipe

Update (Nov 2013): First posted in Apr 2010, now updated with new photos & improved recipe.

I am calling this dish “spinach in superior broth” (上汤菠菜/苋菜) only because that is how our restaurants & zi char stalls name this dish. With a fancy name like that, of course the eateries charge premium for this dish, when the home-cooked version is actually inexpensive (under S$3!). What makes the home-cooked version “superior”, in my humble opinion, is the home-made ikan bilis stock which is natural and free from artificial flavourings & MSG. I love this dish thoroughly because it is both a vegetable and a soup dish in one. I make ikan bilis stock once a week and keep it in the fridge, so I have an instant soup base to whip this dish in a jiffy whenever I want to.

Spinach in Superior Broth

There are actually many variations for this dish – such as with wolfberries, salted eggs or a thicker soup (simply thicken the broth with cornstarch solution). Use your creativity to adapt this recipe!

73 Responses to “Chinese Spinach in Superior Broth”

1 2 3 6
  1. mochachocolatarita — April 13, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

wa~ looks amazing! and we normally only eat this kinda veggie dish in restaurants…

2. Nasi Lemak Lover — April 13, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

this is one of the veggie that I will order when we eat out in Chinese restaurant. Your look just good and delicious, like those serve outside..

3. tigerfish — April 13, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

I actually thought it look like English Spinach (which look like puay leng). Chinese and English Spinach should be suitable for this dish? hmmmm…..

Some restaurants cook with 3 different kinds of egg: century, salted and normal egg :D …also love them all.

• wiffy replied: — April 14th, 2010 @ 9:14 am

hehe I didn’t know English spinach can be used for this dish? The only times I had western varieties of spinach is in western salad and in spinach lasagna, and I didn’t like them at all because they tastes like beansprouts! 8O

• tigerfish replied: — April 14th, 2010 @ 10:39 am

The English Spinach I see in Cold Storage looks like Puay Leng leh….so very “chinese” too. I don’t mean those raw western spinach in salads. I don’t really like those too except baby spinach, maybe? which don’t taste like beansprouts. kekekeke…

• wiffy replied: — April 14th, 2010 @ 11:20 am

Then I have to check it out next time I go CS, been a long time since I shopped at CS :p (western) baby spinach also tastes a bit like beansprouts to me leh keke …

4. wyyv — April 13, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

A good dish to serve with white rice:) Nice one!

5. The Little Teochew — April 13, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

Gosh, I LOVE veggie done this way. Beautifully prepared, dearie! I like to cook Kow Kei this way too. :) Wiffy, next time try using salted egg yolk in addition to the century egg. Very creamy. :)

• wiffy replied: — April 17th, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

I just saw your kow kei recipe, looks good! just that I’ve never seen kow kei before. Shall look out for it in future :-)

6. jo — April 13, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

I love veggies cooked in this manner. Simple and so much flavour.

7. Angie's Recipes — April 13, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

I love this dish, esp. with lots of century eggs!

8. Lia Chen — April 13, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

Chinese spinach is my family’s favorite green veggie. Kids love it very much. I cook it very simple but your recipe is wonderful. Need to make this soon :up: :up: :up:

9. Elin — April 13, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Wow..this is what I have been looking for. I used to order this when ever we eat out and my Jo loves this. Thanks for putting this up :)

10. petite nyonya — April 13, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

I love this too! I was just flipping through one of my recipe books and it reminded me to make this soon. This is just delicious and I love it with more century eggs!! Looks so delicious!

1 2 3 5

1. Pingback: 24th & 25th week of cooking « A fulfilled life

2. Pingback: The day I ate my grandma’s spinach soup | Medium Red Potion

3. Pingback: Ikan Bilis Stock Recipe (Anchovies Stock Recipe)

4. Pingback: Stir-fried Spinach with Ikan Bilis Recipe