Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Soft-boiled Eggs (Half-boiled Eggs)

Half Boiled Eggs Recipe

Check Out: Kaya Toast Recipe

The Singapore-style breakfast of kaya toast will not be complete without soft-boiled eggs with runny yolk as a side, and usually served with a dash of white pepper and dark soy sauce. When I was a kid, my family owned this really nifty gadget specifically for making soft-boiled eggs. You simply place the eggs inside the gadget, and pour boiling water up to a certain line. There are mini holes at the base of the container which drips slowly down to a container, and then when it drips to a certain depth, perfectly soft-boiled eggs are ready. I’ve never seen this gadget since then but the same concept can easily be applied using whatever you have in the kitchen. And yes, you do not need to make these eggs on the stove top.

Half Boiled Eggs Recipe

Eggs submerged in boiling water

20 Responses to “Soft-boiled Eggs (Half-boiled Eggs)”

1. jo — November 1, 2010 @ 8:57 am

Typical Singapore breakfast. I love my eggs really half boiled, soft runny egg yolks. My late hubs would have his 3/4 boiled with the egg yolk harder. So whenever we have kaya egg toast set for breakfast, we would break the eggs and then compare which was more cooked and then swop accordingly.

2. diva — November 1, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

YUM! this is definitely a Singaporean breakfast. parents used to make this every morning for us before school. And then we started getting real sick of it but oh, with a bit of bread. It’s awesome with runny yolk x

3. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — November 2, 2010 @ 4:21 am

I usually like my eggs more well-done but I am SO intrigued what this tastes like, especially with the kaya toast. Sounds yummy.

4. Christina — February 14, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

I know exactly what gadget you mean! My Mum used to make soft-boiled eggs using one of those when I was growing up in Penang. I’m sure she still has it at home. I haven’t had soft-boiled eggs for over half a year cos I can’t find those gadgets where I live now. So thank you so much for your recipe, I just tried it and nailed it the first time! The eggs were done just the way I like them <3 I too used my rice cooker pot, but it's just the normal one, not microwave :) Worked like a charm. I'll surely be making soft-boiled eggs more often now that I know an alternative method :D

5. Naima — March 4, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Came across a video on youtube about singaporean style soft boiled eggs and somehow find myself here. Just tried this and it worked perfectly! Delicious!
    Worked out better than trying to make Japanese Onsen eggs which seem much more complicated and takes longer. This was so simple
    Definitely will be having this more often.
    Thanks so much for this!!!

6. Yvette — August 18, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

Do you still submerge the eggs for 5 minutes irregardless of its size ?