Sambal Kangkong Recipe
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 200g kangkong (kangkung) aka water spinach, water morning glory
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- a few slices of cut finger-length chilli
- 1-2 tbsp water
- a small pinch of sugar
- salt to taste; if needed
Sambal chilli (A)
Pulse using an electric grinder or pound using a traditional mortar and pestle
- 1 finger-length chilli deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 tbsp dried shrimps 虾米 (hae bee/heibi) soaked to soften
- 5 chilli padi no need to deseed, for the heat; adjust accordingly
- a small pinch of salt
- a small piece (5g) of toasted belacan (dried shrimp paste)
- 2 shallots peeled
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- Separate the kangkong leaves from the stems. Wash and dry by using a salad spinner or air dry.
- Heat oil in wok, add prepared sambal chilli (A) and stir fry briefly until fragrant.
- Add kangkong stems and stir fry for a minute on high heat until just softened.
- Add remaining kangkong leaves and cut chilli slices. Stir fry on high heat briskly until the leaves have just withered, adding about 1-2 tbsp water to keep the vegetables moist. Season with a small pinch of sugar and salt.