Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Sambal Belacan

Sambal Belacan Recipe

Check Out: Sambal Tumis Recipe

A bottle of homemade sambal belacan (belachan) – a handy condiment to have. I am a self confessed sambal belachan addict. Now that I started making my own sambal belachan chilli, there is no turning back for me. It is such a handy condiment to keep in the fridge – you can add a little to any dish for some heat and it’s a nice chilli condiment for almost any Asian dish such as fried bee hoon and fried rice.

Sambal Beancurd with Sugar Snap Peas Recipe

You can use it for stir-fries (pictured above), or fry it with some dried shrimps, garlic and shallots for a more Chinese version of spicy dried shrimps, or more commonly known locally as hae bee hiam. Making your sambal belachan is really easy since there is no cooking involved (except for toasting the belacan beforehand). Mine is the simple version where there is no prolonged frying of the paste involved. It stores in the fridge for slightly more than a week.

58 Responses to “Sambal Belacan”

1 2 3 5
  1. Ellena — June 14, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

Oh Gosh!!!! I love this I love this!!!! Esp stuff it inside fish stomach and pan-fried the fish…. I can almost taste it now…… :)

• wiffy replied: — June 14th, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

you’re totally making me miss 辣椒鱼 … I have to make it soon with my new batch of sambal belachan!

2. TasteHongKong — June 14, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

Next time, I shall try to make this sambal without stir-frying, sometimes I actually toast belachan in oven : ).

3. Angie's Recipes — June 14, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

I always want to make this sauce, but a couple of ingredients are just difficult to get here..
    This would be great to make the noodle stir-fry too.

4. Rasa Malaysia — June 14, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

Thanks for linking to me. Ahhhh, I miss the long and lengthy red chilies from home. The red chili I get here is short and plump and not very fiery, and too watery. I made some when my elder sister was here and she asked if I added water to the sambal. Aiya, the texture is just not the same.

• Nancy Anniss replied: — June 15th, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

Rasa Malaysia, try mixing it with some of those thin small green chillis which looks like chilli api to make it fiery for your sambal, that is if you could get them abroad.

5. Pepy @Indonesia Eats — June 14, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Since I moved to Canada, I never fry my terasi anymore. I always toast it in the oven, then keep it in a jar.

6. jo — June 14, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Oh gosh just by looking at it’s content, I am already salivating. This looks damn good!

7. wyyv — June 14, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

nice sambal belacan there~~ good to have a jar of those to served with white rice sometimes :D

8. Little Inbox — June 14, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

Usually I get a bottle from my mom’s place, hehehe…

9. tigerfish — June 14, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

It is also taking me long to make this as I do not have the tools…(no blender and no M&P at this time)….

Sambal belachan is like the gateway to delicious spicy(fragrant) food :D

10. mochachocolatarita — June 14, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

can i buy a jar off you? hehehe too lazy to make ;)

1 2 3 5

1. Pingback: Sambal Long Beans Recipe | NoobCook.com

2. Pingback: Sambal Fried Beancurd (Tau Kwa) with Sugar Snap Peas | NoobCook.com

3. Pingback: A Fiery Homecoming: Stir-fried Sweet Potato Leaves with Sambal Belacan | xinfully

4. Pingback: Lemongrass Tea Recipe