Deep Fried Squid with Lemon Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper squid is a popular “pub food”. It easily cost S$10 for a small basket if you order it at a pub, but you get more for less than half the price if you do it at home. This is incredibly simple and requires minimal ingredients. Besides the squid, I already have the rest of the ingredients in my pantry because they are common pantry stock (salt, pepper, flour, lemons, mayonnaise, cooking oil). This version is the light batter type.
Like Us on Facebook
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes directly in your email box:
Recipe adapted from Women’s Weekly’s Midweek Meals in Minutes
Deep Fried Squid
- 1 medium squid (about 300g)
- 40-50g plain flour (or corn flour for a heavier/crispier batter)
- sea salt and pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp boiling water
1. Mix ingredients for lemon mayonnaise in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
2. Clean the squid by laying it flat on the chopping board and gently pulling out the head in one horizontal direction. Empty the cavity of the squid. Wash it clean. I discarded the head (up to you) except for a small portion of the tentacles. Slice the squid to thin rings.
3. Place cut squid into a shallow but wide dish (I used a roasting tray). Season squid with salt and pepper, then add flour. Toss squid to evenly coat squid in the flour (add more if needed); shake off excess.
4. Heat oil to 180C (356F) in wok/large saucepan/deep fryer and deep fry squid in batches until tender and browned lightly (takes about 3 minutes for me). If you have some lumpy batter left, you can also deep fry them for some crispy bits. Drain on absorbent paper.
5. Serve warm with a lemon wedge and the lemon mayonnaise dip you prepared in step 1.
Cooking Notes and Variations
- Do not overcook squid as they will become tough and chewy.
- You can also use 300g squid hoods/baby squid instead.
- You can add some freshly chopped parsley or chopped dill to the dip.
- You can add 1 tsp of curry/chilli powder for that extra kick.
Leave a Comment
26 Responses to “Deep Fried Squid with Lemon Mayonnaise”
Pingback: Date night « What's cookin'