Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe

Roast Chicken with Garlic and Lemon

Roast Chicken

Check Out: Roast Chicken Recipes

Note: This was first posted in Dec 2008, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

With Christmas around the corner, it’s the time of the year to cook more hearty meals like a whole roast chicken. We were extremely satisfied with the end result of this particular roast chicken, I think largely due to the butter mixture which was stuffed underneath the chicken skin. For those who have not roasted a chicken before, you have to totally try it out this holiday season. Roasts like this is relatively fuss-free because the oven is doing 90% of the work, leaving the cook time to sit back and unwind this holiday season. A whole roasted chicken like this makes great party food for all occasions.

Roast Chicken

The reason why we have been roasting a chicken instead of a traditional turkey these few years – (1) my standalone oven is too small to fit in a whole turkey, (2) we are feeding only 2 persons, (3) chicken is much cheaper than turkey, (4) chicken meat usually tastes juicier and less dry than turkey, at least to me. If you are a fan of roast chicken too, do check out the other roast chicken recipes.

56 Responses to “Roast Chicken with Garlic and Lemon”

1. Michelle — December 21, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

Hi Wiffy, I do the same too !! ie mix butter with gratednlemon rind n herbs and stuff them under skin of chicken… The herbed butter soaks into chicken meat, making it so tender n tasty … I’m going to roast chicken again this Christmas!

• wiffy replied: — December 23rd, 2011 @ 10:33 am

sounds like you will have a great feast this Christmas :)

2. Platanos, Mangoes and Me! — December 21, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

Oh boy does this chick look delicious.  nothing like lemon and garlic to make everything perfect.

Happy HoHo!

• wiffy replied: — December 23rd, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

3. Pipana — December 23, 2011 @ 9:03 am

Great looking chicken!
    I must agree with you on the juiciness of the meat! I prefer chicken too, so I will most probably go for chicken this year end ^_-

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!
    Happy holidays!!! ^^

• wiffy replied: — December 23rd, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Hi Pipana, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones too … enjoy the year-end feasting (^_^)

4. Ju — December 23, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

I gave up roasting chicken as mine always end up dry and tough. Is there any way to make it juicy? Merry Xmas and enjoy the holidays!

• wiffy replied: — December 23rd, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

have you tried this recipe before? I cooked this last weekend and my family commented that the chicken was juicy, even the breast part which is usually quite dry :p Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays ^^

5. Calogero — January 24, 2012 @ 12:33 am

I like lemon and garlic very much, thanks a lot.

6. Lily — July 6, 2012 @ 12:58 am

Hi wiffy, may I know what oven you are using? Any recommendations?

• wiffy replied: — July 6th, 2012 @ 10:40 am

I’m using a rowenta stand-alone oven. If you can afford the space for a bigger oven, it will be great. I heard that built-in ovens and helsio steam oven is good.

• Lily replied: — July 6th, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

Ok, thks! I got limited space.. :( so considering a rowenta or tefal.

• wiffy replied: — July 8th, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Personally, my Rowenta served me well for a few years already. Try to get the model with the fan-assisted mode (just a bit more expensive than the one without). Back then, it was made in France, not sure if it still is, but it definitely enticed me to get it considering many other brands made in China.

• Lily replied: — July 8th, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

Thks for the advice! :):)

7. teresa — July 22, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

hi. i’ve tried using ur method but i let the oven turn the chicken itself.
    anw half an hour later the chicken almost split into half haha.
    but overall is ok. chicken meat gt the lemon smell. refreshing. hahaha
    shall tried the glutinous rice till i gt hold of the oven.
    thanks for the recipe :)

8. Jonelle Lum — September 26, 2012 @ 4:46 am

Hi Wiffy,

The lemon butter-parsley paste do I stuff it only under the breast part of the skin or must also stuff it under the thigh n drumstick part of the skin too?

• wiffy replied: — September 26th, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

only the breast.

9. Jonelle Lum — September 26, 2012 @ 5:15 am

Btw too Wiffy,

Is the parsley you used similar to the chinese parsley aka coriander/cilantro? Can I use the latter too?

• wiffy replied: — September 26th, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

Hi Jonelle, nope it’s the western type. either the curly-parsley or flat-leaft parsley. You can use coriander but the effect will be Chinese-style. Parsley is milder in my opinion.

10. marian — April 14, 2013 @ 10:42 am

May i know the point 2, this pasty is for wrapping the whole chicken?

When to apply?

Please advise

• wiffy replied: — April 18th, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

the paste prepared in step 2 is for stuffing under the chicken skin (step 4).