Roast Chicken with Garlic and Lemon
Roast chicken with Garlic, Lemon and Thyme Recipe
For those who have not roasted a chicken before, it is definitely easier than it looks. This roast chicken recipe is relatively fuss-free because the oven is doing 90% of the work.
Serves: 1 whole chicken (serves 2-4)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 whole chicken innards and neck removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder optional
(A) Butter Paste (mix well in a small bowl until a paste is form)
- 30 grams butter cubed
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 sprigs thyme for best results, submerge in hot water for 30 seconds
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary for best results, submerge in hot water for 30 seconds
- 15 garlic cloves slightly bruised
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon halved
- grater or microplane
- kitchen twine
- wire rack
- oven tray
- pastry brush.
- Place chicken on a flat chopping board, breast side up. For aesthetics, tuck the wings under the chicken and tie the thighs together using kitchen twine.
- Carefully pull the top chicken skin and slowly stuff (A) under the chicken skin. Be careful not to tear the chicken skin while doing so.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with (B). If you have leftover herbs, sprinkle them around the pan or on the chicken.
- Brush the chicken skin all over with olive oil using a pastry brush. Season chicken with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Rest the chicken, breast side up, on a wire rack sitting on a bigger roasting tray to collect the chicken juices. Bake chicken in preheated oven at 200°C (392°F) for about 40 minutes. Take the tray out of the oven and brush the chicken with the juices that are collected in the drip pan. If there are not enough juices, use olive oil.
- Return tray to oven and bake for another 30 minutes, increasing the oven heat to 220°C (428°F) during the last 10 minutes. The roasting time may differ with your oven, but basically you should roast until the chicken is nicely golden brown.