Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe

Rice Cooker Chicken Rice

Rice Cooker Chicken Rice

Check Out:

This is no-pride, lazy and short-cut cooking (my speciality) at its best – chicken rice, cooked in the rice cooker. I have made claypot chicken rice in the rice cooker before, so this is not new. Yes, I do have recipe for making steamed chicken rice the traditional way, but I reserve this recipe for days I know I will be super busy. All I need is 5 minutes to dump the ingredients in the rice cooker, and I let the rice cooker do the rest of the work – it really can’t get any easier than this. If you have have a bit more time to spare, you can make your own ginger and chilli sauces, as well as cook a quick vegetable side-dish such as oyster sauce vegetables for a complete meal.

Rice Cooker Chicken Rice (Ingredients)

Short-cuts Used

1. The chicken has already been chopped to small pieces by the wet market uncle. I freeze the bag and thaw the chicken on the day of cooking. Saves me the time and trouble of cutting the chicken.
  2. Store-bought concentrated chicken stock (the tetra-pak types will be better than the stock cubes), unless I happen to have home-made chicken stock sitting in the fridge.
  3. Rice cooker for steaming the rice and chicken at the same time.

35 Responses to “Rice Cooker Chicken Rice”

1. mochachocolatarita — June 22, 2012 @ 11:39 am

i love how easy this seems! <3 <3 <3
    and i love how you still do chicken rice at home although it's available everywhere in sg :D

2. The Sudden Cook — June 22, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Can’t wait to try this

3. Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover — June 22, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Love this simple chicken rice recipe so much, will bookmark in my lazy weekend recipe list..

4. Zakashi — June 28, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

The recipe is simple. I tried and taste GREAT! My family enjoyed eating the chicken rice very much. Thank you.

5. Rose — July 10, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Wiffy,

If I normally use 2 cups of water to cook rice, does that mean I only use 1 cup water and 1 cup stock to make this recipe? Thanks.

• wiffy replied: — July 10th, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Hi Rose – No, it means you only need to use 1 cup stock. I half the liquid normally needed to cook rice.

• Rose replied: — July 10th, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

Oh…so no plain water is used, only stock. Thanks Wiffy. Gonna try tomorrow ;)

6. shwinlewin — July 16, 2012 @ 6:58 am

Hi. I did this before but I have a problem with some of the chicken having blood inside near the bone. Is there anyway to fix this?

• wiffy replied: — July 17th, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

I usually scoop off the small bit of rice which is stained, before serving.

7. Juliet — August 25, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

how about for one serving?…how many cup of water?

8. Eva — November 23, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I made this dish for dinner today with good results. Easy to do, fast and relatively healthy! Thanks.

9. Jewl — January 17, 2013 @ 4:39 am

I have a rice cooker with a steamer basket. Do you put your chicken on top of the rice or the steamer basket?

• wiffy replied: — January 17th, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

if you have a steamer basket, you can put the chicken in it. It will be better.

10. Jasmine — March 2, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

I tried cooking this today in my rice cooker and it failed. As it is for 5-6 pax, I double the portions mentioned above. My rice cooker cooked within 30min. I waited another 30min. The chicken isn’t cooked at all and some portions of the rice as well :(
    Now i am trying to steam everything, hope at least it manage to savage a bit and is still edible. I think either because of the huge portions or my rice cooker. So disappointed

• wiffy replied: — March 4th, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

sorry to hear that. Every rice cooker cooks differently. Maybe next time you can stir fry the chicken until opaque, before adding to the rice cooker.