Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe Red Glutinous Wine Lees

Rice Cooker Chicken Rice

Rice Cooker Chicken Rice

Check Out:

This is no-pride, lazy and short-cut cooking (my speciality) at its best – chicken rice, cooked in the rice cooker. I have made claypot chicken rice in the rice cooker before, so this is not new. Yes, I do have recipe for making steamed chicken rice the traditional way, but I reserve this recipe for days I know I will be super busy. All I need is 5 minutes to dump the ingredients in the rice cooker, and I let the rice cooker do the rest of the work – it really can’t get any easier than this. If you have have a bit more time to spare, you can make your own ginger and chilli sauces, as well as cook a quick vegetable side-dish such as oyster sauce vegetables for a complete meal.

Rice Cooker Chicken Rice (Ingredients)

Short-cuts Used

1. The chicken has already been chopped to small pieces by the wet market uncle. I freeze the bag and thaw the chicken on the day of cooking. Saves me the time and trouble of cutting the chicken.
  2. Store-bought concentrated chicken stock (the tetra-pak types will be better than the stock cubes), unless I happen to have home-made chicken stock sitting in the fridge.
  3. Rice cooker for steaming the rice and chicken at the same time.

35 Responses to “Rice Cooker Chicken Rice”

1. mochachocolatarita — June 22, 2012 @ 11:39 am

i love how easy this seems! <3 <3 <3
    and i love how you still do chicken rice at home although it's available everywhere in sg :D

2. The Sudden Cook — June 22, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Can’t wait to try this

3. Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover — June 22, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Love this simple chicken rice recipe so much, will bookmark in my lazy weekend recipe list..

4. Zakashi — June 28, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

The recipe is simple. I tried and taste GREAT! My family enjoyed eating the chicken rice very much. Thank you.

5. Rose — July 10, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Wiffy,

If I normally use 2 cups of water to cook rice, does that mean I only use 1 cup water and 1 cup stock to make this recipe? Thanks.

• wiffy replied: — July 10th, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Hi Rose – No, it means you only need to use 1 cup stock. I half the liquid normally needed to cook rice.

• Rose replied: — July 10th, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

Oh…so no plain water is used, only stock. Thanks Wiffy. Gonna try tomorrow ;)

6. shwinlewin — July 16, 2012 @ 6:58 am

Hi. I did this before but I have a problem with some of the chicken having blood inside near the bone. Is there anyway to fix this?

• wiffy replied: — July 17th, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

I usually scoop off the small bit of rice which is stained, before serving.

7. Juliet — August 25, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

how about for one serving?…how many cup of water?

8. Eva — November 23, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I made this dish for dinner today with good results. Easy to do, fast and relatively healthy! Thanks.

9. Jewl — January 17, 2013 @ 4:39 am

I have a rice cooker with a steamer basket. Do you put your chicken on top of the rice or the steamer basket?

• wiffy replied: — January 17th, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

if you have a steamer basket, you can put the chicken in it. It will be better.

10. Jasmine — March 2, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

I tried cooking this today in my rice cooker and it failed. As it is for 5-6 pax, I double the portions mentioned above. My rice cooker cooked within 30min. I waited another 30min. The chicken isn’t cooked at all and some portions of the rice as well :(
    Now i am trying to steam everything, hope at least it manage to savage a bit and is still edible. I think either because of the huge portions or my rice cooker. So disappointed

• wiffy replied: — March 4th, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

sorry to hear that. Every rice cooker cooks differently. Maybe next time you can stir fry the chicken until opaque, before adding to the rice cooker.