Sesame Wine Chicken Recipe Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup (Samgyetang) Recipe Fresh Ginseng Claypot Thai Glass Noodles with Prawns Recipe Steamed 3 eggs with pork recipe Shrimp & Egg Fried Rice Recipe

Pumpkin Rice

Pumpkin Rice Recipe
First posted in Apr 2008, updated in Apr 2016.

I learnt to cook this homely pumpkin rice (南瓜饭) from my friend koalabear (thank you!). Not only is this pumpkin rice sweet and tasty, it also has a lovely bright and cheerful yellow hue when cooked.

More Rice Cooker Recipes:
"Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe)

The buttery aroma of the rice blended perfectly with the sweet taste of pumpkin, which is softly mashed when cooked. The result is just heavenly deliciousness.

Pumpkin Rice Recipe

The cooking method is similar to my mum’s cabbage rice – involving stir-frying some of the ingredients in the wok and then tossing everything to cook in the rice cooker.

32 Responses to “Pumpkin Rice”

1. thoo2 — April 14, 2008 @ 12:10 am

i have tried pumpkin porriadge, think it is time to try pumpkin fried rice =)

2. wiffy — April 14, 2008 @ 2:28 pm

hi thoo2, thanks for visiting my blog! Coincidentally, I just made pumpkin congee last night! =)

3. ongchengimm — March 17, 2009 @ 10:49 pm

Hi Wiffy,
    I tried the chicken & mushroom baked rice & my 3 kids simply love it. thanks

4. wiffy — March 18, 2009 @ 12:41 pm

hi chengimm, thanks for your feedback, glad your kids love it =)

5. Min — May 3, 2009 @ 2:33 am

do you mean fry the rice grains? so we have to washed the rice and can still fry then when its still wet? hope u understand my question. :)

• wiffy replied: — May 3rd, 2009 @ 8:47 am

Hi Min … yes … wash the rice grains first (same way as how wash rice normally), then rinse the water, and fry the rice grains when they are still wet :)

6. reena — May 22, 2009 @ 1:35 am

I grew up eating pumpkin rice but not so “complicated” ie with lesser ingredients. After seeing your recipe, I cooked mine by adding wolfberries and mushrooms and I must say I like it. The combination is awesome.

7. celine — October 10, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

Hi Wiffy, I cooked this often as it is my family’s favourite (thanks for sharing). Most of the time I get it right but occasionally about a third of the rice is not cooked. The other two third of it is cooked. Any chance you know why?

Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — October 11th, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

hey celine, good to see ya ;) This has never happened to me! Did you measure the water for cooking rice? When the uncooked rice is fried in the wok, they may swell in volume, so estimation of water will not be as accurate as that of just normal plain uncooked rice grains without stir frying. Other than that I can’t really think of any other reason hehe

• celine replied: — October 11th, 2010 @ 9:07 pm

thanks, Wiffy! i suspected that it has something to do with the water too. anyway with the uncooked bits, my family polished it up too! LOL! they REALLY love this ALOT!

xoxo

8. Rose — September 13, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

Wiffy,

May I know how much water to use for 2 cups of rice? Thanks

• wiffy replied: — September 20th, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

Personally I use slightly over 2 cups of water for 2 cups of rice.

9. WBT — January 2, 2013 @ 8:08 am

Hi Wiffy,

I would like to check if we are able to prepare ingredients with uncooked rice and store it in the fridge for use the next day? Will it spoil?