Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe Ham and Cheese Egg Roll Recipe

Pineapple Tarts

Home-made pineapple tarts
Pineapple Tarts – Open Filling

Pineapple tarts (黄梨酥) are considered a “festive cookie” and usually consumed during the Chinese New Year season. Pineapple is auspicious sounding to the Chinese so many people feel it’s lucky to eat them. As a baking noob, I made my life easier by çheating with store-bought pineapple paste (bought from Phoon Huat) – all I had to do is to make the pastry. Somehow, I did end up with decent tasting. Though this is my second time making pineapple tarts, I take heart that they are edible & yummy. Here’s wishing everyone a happy and ox-picious new year!

Ingredients
(Recipe adapted from Kuali)

Pastry:
- 150g flour
- l/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 100g butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk

- 120g store bought pineapple paste
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing

You also need:

Home-made pineapple tarts
- pineapple tarts mold (I bought mine from Phoon Huat, Singapore – thanks to Small Small Baker for the info)

Directions
1. Sieve flour, corn flour, salt and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut butter to small pieces and rub into the flour, then add egg yolk to form a dough.

Home-made pineapple tarts

2. Dust the work area, rolling pin and pineapple tart mold (edges) with flour.

3. To make open pineapple tarts – Roll pastry (with gentle, short strokes) into 0.5cm thickness and stamp out with a pineapple tart mold. Add one teaspoon of pineapple paste filling (roll to a ball). Glaze with egg if you want a golden crust.

*4. To make closed pineapple tarts – Roll pastry into 0.3cm thickness and about 6.5cm x 5cm. Add one teaspoon of filling and roll with your hands to close the pastry (roll to a ball). You can patch with more pastry skin if needed. Glaze with egg.

5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 10 to 15 minutes or till lightly brown. You may need to bake for about 5 minutes longer for the closed version.

*Note: I got tired of making the open versions so I experimented with the close version on my own. This may not be the ‘right’ way of making the closed version because I did not read up on how others do it, but it looked & tasted all right ;p

60 Responses to “Pineapple Tarts”

1 2 3 6
  1. Marc @ NoRecipes — January 22, 2009 @ 12:25 am

Wow that look amazing! You may be a noob but you could have fooled me:-)

2. Su-Lin — January 22, 2009 @ 1:12 am

Thanks for the reminder – maybe I should make them again this year! I love the look of your closed ones…I attempted them a few years ago and mine looked rubbish. :D If I do make them, I’m going open top all the way!

And the pineapple tart molds are beautiful! I’ve never seen them before. I’m not too sure when my next trip to Singapore will be but do they sell the molds year-round?

3. Wandering Chopsticks — January 22, 2009 @ 1:16 am

Oh poor you. But all that hard work pays off. They’re so pretty! Great job!

Funny, in VNese the word for pineapple is also the word for fragrant so they’re lucky during the lunar new year for us too. :)

4. Pepy — January 22, 2009 @ 1:36 am

we call this nastar nanas. They usually show off during Eid Fitr/Christmas. Looking good, Wiffy!

5. Little Corner of Mine — January 22, 2009 @ 1:46 am

Look pretty to eat! I’m too lazy to do the close one, too time consuming, so I always make the open one. This year haven’t made any yet. :P

6. Reeni — January 22, 2009 @ 4:21 am

I think they turned out wonderful for all your hard work! They look perfect and so delicious!! :lol:

7. Selba — January 22, 2009 @ 9:41 am

Here in Indonesia, the Pineapple Tarts – closed filling is called as Nastar.

That’s one of the favourite of my mom’s cookies. There’s time when our ex-president’s wife like to order it from my mom :)

8. didally — January 22, 2009 @ 10:53 am

I can understand the anxiety of handling soft dough, it’s really nerve wrecking. :o

But I think you did well. As long as they taste good, it’s worth the attempt. :up:

9. smallsmallbaker — January 22, 2009 @ 11:03 am

Hey, I think I got the same mold too, but I bought only 1 type. I tried the open tarts and it was tedious too. I couldn’t make the indentations very clear. I have some pineapple paste left, maybe I’ll try the closed type next time.

Wishing you an Ox-picious new year! :)

10. Rei — January 22, 2009 @ 2:27 pm

Pass already, looks yummy mah~~ Happy CNY!

1 2 3 6