Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review)

Pineapple Rice

Pineapple Rice

Pineapple fried rice (Khao op sapparot in Thai) is one of my favourite Thai dishes, and very easy to make. The bright yellow hue and pineapple bowl gives a cheerful tropical and sunny vibe to the dish.

You May Also Like: Olive Fried Rice Recipe

As a short cut, you can buy sliced pineapple from the fruits stall or use canned pineapples; but if you use a whole fresh pineapple, you will be rewarded with a beautiful pineapple bowl to serve this dish in, and bonus points for not needing to wash the bowl afterwards! While this dish needs some preparation time, the cooking is relatively quick (under 15 minutes). It makes for both a great one-dish meal or the perfect side-dish for any Thai-themed meal.

Pineapple Rice Recipe
(Click thumbnail to see ful size)
Get the printable recipe >>
Pineapple rice sauce Combine tumeric powder, pineapple juice, fish sauce and seasoning powder in a stain-proof bowl. Mix well and set aside.
Diced prawns, pineapples, chicken Diced the following to bite-sized pieces: prawns (shells & veins removed), boneless chicken and pineapple. Marinade chicken with sesame oil, light soy sauce and white pepper.
Stirfrying pineapple rice Heat oil and butter in wok, stir fry shallots and garlic until the shallots start to soften. Add shrimp paste, stir fry for about 1 minute until you smell the pungent aroma.
Stirfrying pineapple rice Add chicken and stir fry until they just turn opaque. Add prawns, stir fry until semi-cooked.
Stirfrying pineapple rice Add rice and pour the sauce over. Stir fry until the rice grains are dry and evenly-coated in the sauce. Add pineapple, cashew nuts and raisins; stir fry for another minute or two. Season to taste.
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice Ladle pineapple rice to serving bowl and garnish with meat floss, chilli and coriander.

25 Responses to “Pineapple Rice”

1. B — March 4, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Authentic looking and simply delicious! One of my favourite Thai dish!

2. Sandy Woo — March 4, 2013 @ 11:28 pm

What is the Chinese name for fish sauce? Which
    Brand better?

• wiffy replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 11:15 am

If I’m not wrong, it’s 鱼露. I’m using Blue Elephant, but no particular preference as I just picked it up randomly.

3. Always — March 5, 2013 @ 1:37 am

Is this a one-person serving?

• Always replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 1:40 am

Oops, just see the serving size.

4. Little Corner of Mine — March 5, 2013 @ 1:53 am

Looks delicious! I won’t mind a bowl of pineapple rice and what a plus with the meat floss.

5. Sharon Cheong — March 5, 2013 @ 2:19 am

May I know what kind of shrimp paste are you using?

6. tigerfish — March 5, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Hungry just looking at it! I will try to make this if I am in the mood for long preparation time..hahaha!

7. Felicia — March 5, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Hi Wiffy
    So happy to see your recipe on Pineapple Rice! I have been searching via the Net for a good recipe on Pineapple Rice but found many with complicated steps and some unknown ingredients. I like your step-by-step methods and I will definitely give a try to this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!
    Felicia

• wiffy replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

Let me know how it goes, happy cooking!

• Felicia replied: — March 11th, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

Hi Wiffy

I tried your recipe on Sat, 9 Mar 13, and it was a success!!!

I cooked double portion for it … all ingredients quantity were the same except my rice, 935 grams (which came from 2 cups of uncooked rice… yup, I am a noob cook). What I will reduce for my next round will be the tumeric powder as I find it too much of yellow colouring. I used canned pineapple though.

Thanks for your easy step-by-step ;o).

Felicia

• wiffy replied: — March 14th, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

glad to hear it was a success! wow 935grams is a lot of rice but you can always heat up the leftovers the next day :)

8. Michelle — March 5, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

Hi Wiffy, the pic looks gorgeous! I’m more a fan of Thai olive rice than pineapple rice. But your captivating photo is enticing me to cook this dish :) I do not use shrimp paste normally – what other dishes can you to use it for? Thanks for inspiring, as always! Michelle

• wiffy replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 4:25 pm

You can add a small amount to your stir-fries and fried rice as a secret ingredient. Or you can also omit it, don’t worry as it will not break the dish. Season the dish to taste with fish sauce, salt etc at the end :)

9. Christine Liew — March 5, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

Looks nice n delicious ! Will be suitable for parties !

10. Angie@Angie's Recipes — March 5, 2013 @ 6:55 pm