Pig Stomach Soup
Pig Stomach Soup Recipe
This recipe uses the slow cooker, but feel free to adapt the recipe to cook it on the stove top.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 4 hours
- 250 grams pig stomach
- 250 grams pork ribs blanched in a bowl of boiling water and rinsed to clear the scum bits
- 2 tbsp white peppercorns to taste; roast in a dry pan until you can smell the peppery aroma
- 2 tbsp dried scallops
- 1.5 litres of boiling water top up with more water whenever needed
- 50 grams fish maw soaked in a bowl of hot water until softened; drained & cut to bite-sized pieces
- coriander and spring onions for garnishing; optional
(A) Cleaning the pig stomach
- corn flour
- lime juice
(B) Suggested additions
- fresh scallops
- thinly sliced pork shabu shabu cut
- pacific clams
- abalone sliced
- To clean the pig stomach, turn it inside out and use a knife to scrap the impurities. Rinse. Rub the inner lining with corn flour, lime juice and salt. Rinse. Repeat again by rubbing with salt and cornflour. Rinse. Do so until there is no more smell. Scald the pig stomach with boiling water, drain and set aside.
- In the slow cooker pot, add cleaned pig stomach, water, blanched pork ribs, roasted peppercorns, dried scallops and boiling water. Set slow cooker to High.
- After 2 hours, use a chopstick to poke the pig stomach. If it feels soft, it is cooked. Take the pig stomach out of the slow cooker. When cooled, use a pair of scissors to cut to bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Add fish maw to the slow cooker and continue to cook for an hour or so, or until the fish maw is tender.
- Top up with water if needed. Ladle soup to serving bowls and top with pig stomach pieces. Garnish with coriander and spring onions.
- If you are cooking other ingredients in (B), transfer the contents to a regular pot on the stove top. Bring the soup to a boil and cook the ingredients (B) briefly.