Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Osmanthus Jelly

Osmanthus Jelly Recipe

When I was in Hong Kong 2 weeks ago, one of my shopping missions was to buy some dried osmanthus flowers to bring back to Singapore (update: it’s now easy to buy them locally).

See Also: Chrysanthemum Tea Jelly Recipe

I wanted to make a refreshing and healthy osmanthus flower tea jelly (桂花糕) with it. I love the wonderful aroma of the flowers, which is distinctive and yet, gentle at the same time.

Osmanthus Jelly Recipe

77 Responses to “Osmanthus Jelly”

1. ANGELINA — August 5, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

ur recipes are awesome but the hard things to find these indegrends in indian market , i too want to try my hand in ur yummie recipe but always find difficulties in finding right indegrends

• wiffy replied: — August 10th, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

aww sorry to hear that. maybe you can look for it at a Chinese grocery store or medical hall.

2. Xiaolu — August 5, 2010 @ 10:46 pm

What perfect timing! I just rediscovered a love of osmanthus when I had lunch with a Taiwanese friend’s family. But instead of the dried flowers, his mom had a syrup supposedly only available from Taiwan. She used it to simply dress some fresh strawberries and it added this amazing floral flavor to them. Your jellies also look like a fantastic vehicle for osmanthus. I’ve never used konnyaku before, but it looks great.

• wiffy replied: — August 10th, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

dressing up the flowers with osmanthus syrup sounds easy and delicious, I must try it one day :)

3. Jess @ Bakericious — August 6, 2010 @ 10:53 am

Wiffy, the jellies are so pretty, I love konnyaku jelly!

4. Angie's Recipes — August 6, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

I have two jelly moulds exactly like yours…..haven’t used them for a while though.
    These jelly babies look so cute!

5. FC88 — August 7, 2010 @ 6:06 am

I must try this recipe. I had it once at a restaurant and love the taste. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I always love reading your blog.

• wiffy replied: — August 10th, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

thank you – that’s really kind of you. Happy cooking :)

6. Kitchen Butterfly — August 8, 2010 @ 5:10 am

They look lovely. And isn’t it great to travel and go shopping with purpose, and find what you seek. Glad for you and that your sis was eager to try it too

• wiffy replied: — August 10th, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

I was ecstatic to find it, especially when I was about to board the plane later that day :D

7. Tu-Binh — August 18, 2010 @ 5:49 am

I often saw osmanthus jelly mentioned in hongkong TV series, which made me curious how it would taste. Hence I was so happy to find your recipe of this dessert on facebook :). The results look so beautiful with osmanthus flowers inside of the crystal jelly. I really want to try to make it, but it’s very difficult to get the ingredients here in Germany :(.
    I can get the osmanthus flowers, but I don’t know how to get the konnyaku jelly powder. I could not find it in either chinese or japanese stores…
    What can I use instead of konnyaku? Does Agaragar have a comparable consistence? Or what would you recommend instead?

• wiffy replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 10:46 am

if you can get osmanthus flowers it’s great! coz usually this is the ingredient that is hardest to find :)

you can definitely use agar agar instead. They have similar texture (but if I’m not wrong konnyaku is vegan while the other is not). The osmanthus jelly I ate in Hong Kong uses agar agar, it’s yummy :)

8. Lynette Lee — January 1, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

Hi,
    I jsut tried this dessert last nite at Shangri-la and really wanted to make this. Thanks for sharing your recipe. For the wolfberries – there’s no boiling needed? just drop them into the jelly mould when we fill the mould with the liquid?
    The one I ate yesterday had a tinge of organe after taste – do you know what’s added?

9. Candice — January 12, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

Hi, thanks for sharing this recipe :) I made this wonderful dessert with light osmanthus floral smell :)

I also added dried longan (soak in water to make puffy) to create the crunchiness while eating..

May I know how u keep the wolfberries nicely afloat?cos mine all sink to the bottom :( I tried filled the mould twice, end up “seperated” in the middle.

Thanks!

• joey replied: — September 15th, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

mayb u can leave e jelly in e mould to cool awhile til its in thicker state so u can push e berries in and it will not sink to e bottom.

10. Pearl — February 5, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

Hi Wiffy,
    I love your pictures! and thanks for posting this recipe- I’ve been searching for ages!
    I got my osmanthus flowers at the Victoria Street Wholesale Centre (S$6/100g).
    May I know where you got that konnyaku jelly powder and moulds from?
    Thanks!
    Pearl

• wiffy replied: — February 5th, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

konnyaku jelly powder – from NTUC or other supermarkets
      moulds from Phoon Huat

Good luck, hope you like it.