Money Bag Wontons
Money Bags Wontons
Instead of deep-fried, these wontons can also be steamed or boiled for soup. You don't need to tie them with pandan string if doing so.
Prep Time: 35 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 200 grams wonton wrappers
- water for sealing the wonton
(A) Meat filling
- 150 grams minced pork (chicken)
- 5 water chestnuts peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 medium prawns (about 100 grams when peeled) coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onions
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1-2 pandan leaves scald with hot water to soften, wipe dry with paper towel and cut to thin (2-3 mm width) strings
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp chicken or ikan bilis seasoning powder
- a few dashes white pepper powder to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp corn flour (starch)
- In a large bowl, combine meat filling (A) and seasonings (B). Mix well and marinade for a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Place a piece of wonton wrapper on the work surface. Add a tsp of filling in the center of the wrapper and wet the edges with water. Fold down halfway diagonally to form a triangle (if using square wrappers) or a half-crescent (if using round wrappers). Press gently on the edges to seal the wonton. Pleat the edges towards the centre. Twist the top to form a nice pouch. If you like, secure each wonton by tying with a pandan "string", and trim off the excess pandan with scissors.
- Heat oil in wok until 180°C (356°F), then deep fry the wontons, in batches, for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain wontons on kitchen towels/tempura papers before serving.
Noob Cook Tip
- Run leftover oil from deep frying the wontons through a sieve and store the filtered oil in an air tight container for re-use. You can re-use the oil a couple of times. If the oil becomes too black or when it smokes too soon, it shows that the oil has spoiled and should be discarded.
- Freeze extras (not touching one another) in a sealed container or ziplock bag. For soup, defrost overnight in the fridge. For deep-frying, deep fry them straight from the freezer.
- While wrapping the dumplings, cover the dumpling skins in a clean and moist kitchen towel to avoid them from drying out.