Miso Clams Stir-Fry
Miso Clams Recipe
Miso paste is salty and savoury, so there is no need to add salt or light soy sauce. This is an extremely fast recipe as the actual cooking time is less than 5 minutes – overcooking is a no-no and will result in chewy and rubbery clams.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
- 250 grams clams (such as lala, asari, manila)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 slices ginger minced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 chilli padi de-seeded & sliced thinly; to taste
- 2 stalks spring onions (only the green part) sliced to 5 cm (2 inch) length
(A) Miso Mixture (Whisk in small bowl until dissolved)
- 1 tbsp miso paste to taste
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp water
- Scrub clams with a hard brush, then soak in salted water for at least an hour for the clams to purge out sand and impurities. Drain and rinse clams.
- Heat cooking oil in saucepan and add ginger, garlic and chilli. Stir-fry until aromatic, about a minute.
- Add clams and miso mixture (A). Quickly stir with a spatula to coat clams evenly in the sauce, then cover with lid and allow the clams to steam for about 2 minutes, or until all the shells open. Discard any clams that remain closed. Do not overcook the clams.
- Turn off the stove. Add spring onions, stir to coat everything evenly in the sauce and serve immediately.
Noob Cook Tips
- Different brands of miso have varying saltiness, so adjust the amount of miso to taste accordingly.
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, thicken the sauce with cornstarch solution (1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tsp water).