Mentaiko Pasta – Easiest yummy gourmet pasta 明太子パスタ
I’m always on the look out for easy pasta dishes like my pesto pasta and this is by far the easiest gourmet pasta I have made to date. And I mean really easy – there is no need to cook the sauce which can be prepared in minutes. Mentaiko is marinated roe of pollock and using it for pasta sauce is my favourite way to enjoy this ingredient. This Italian-Japanese pasta is usually quite expensive on the menu, but easily less than half the price if you do it at home. The advantage of making it at home is that you can tweak the recipe to your liking, such as adjusting the creaminess and saltiness of the pasta. I personally do not like creamy pasta, so I am happy that I can make my home version without cream. In this recipe, I am using the non-coloured type of mentaiko (hence the pale colour) but if you prefer a more orange hue, be sure to buy the right type of mentaiko. If you have leftover mentaiko, check out this easy Hotate Mentaiyaki (Baked Scallops with Mentaiko Sauce) recipe.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
Mentaiko Pasta Recipe
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
Easiest pasta ever, and I mean really easy - the sauce is non-cooking and can be prepared in minutes.
- 60 grams mentaiko sacs aka spicy pollock roe (明太子)
- 30 grams butter melted
- 2 tsp sake
- 1/2 tsp Japanese shoyu or light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 serving favourite pasta (I am using 70g spaghetti)
- shredded nori (roasted seaweed) for topping
- sea salt
- Make a slit on each mentaiko sac and scrap out the roe with a spoon. Discard the membrane. Set aside 1 tsp of roe for garnishing.
- Add the remaining roe along with mayonnaise, sake, shoyu and butter in a small bowl bowl; Stir well to combine.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to the timing indicated on the package instructions. Drain pasta and reserve a small cup of pasta water.
- Add the mentaiko sauce prepared in step 2 to the drained pasta while it is still hot. Toss until well-mixed. If the pasta is too dry, add a bit of reserved pasta water to help bind the ingredients. Season to taste with salt if needed.
- Dish the pasta to a serving plate and top with shredded nori and roe.
(Get more photos, ingredients list and cooking notes at page 2)
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|