Mapo Tofu Recipe (麻婆豆腐)
In this recipe, the essential ingredients are chilli bean sauce (辣豆瓣酱) and Sichuan peppercorn. The bean sauce can be readily purchased at supermarkets. Sichuan pepper is more “ma” (麻 numbing) than “la” (辣 spicy) so the chilli powder is definitely an essential ingredient to up the heat level.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 12 mins
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 garlic cloves cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried fermented black beans rinsed, patted dry & mashed slightly with a fork
- 70 grams minced pork (or chicken)
- 1 tbsp chilli bean sauce/la dou ban jiang (辣豆瓣酱)
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine Hua Tiao/Shao Hsing
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground Sichuan pepper (花椒; “flower pepper”)
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder to taste
- 150 grams firm Chinese tofu (beancurd) cubed
- 2 stalks spring onions cut to 1 cm length
- cornstarch solution 1 tbsp water mixed with 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Heat oil in a wok, stir fry garlic and fermented black beans until fragrant.
- Add minced pork to the wok and stir fry the meat until most of it is no longer pink, breaking the meat up to smaller bits using the spatula or turner.
- Add chilli bean sauce, stir fry and mix it into the minced meat to coat evenly.
- Add Chinese wine and smell the aroma of the wine seconds later as the alcohol evaporates.
- Add water, soy sauce and sesame oil. Bring to a boil then lower heat. Add Sichuan pepper powder and chilli powder.
- Gently add tofu cubes and spring onions. Simmer over low heat for 3 minutes, taking care not to break the tofu cubes.
- Thicken with cornstarch solution until the gravy reaches the desired thickness. Serve with steamed white rice.
Two methods to get Sichuan pepper powder
- Freshly made - Heat up a dry pan or wok (no need oil) and toast the peppercorn for a few minutes until fragrant. Thereafter, grind the roasted peppercorn in an electric blender or pound using a mortar and pestle. Finally, run the powder through a sieve to remove any large bits. Prepare the Sichuan pepper just before cooking the dish for maximum freshness.
- Shortcut method - buy bottled ground Sichuan pepper powder which is less potent than freshly ground pepper, but it is a great time saver.
Leave a Comment
18 Responses to “Mapo Tofu”
Pingback: Tofu with Minced Meat Recipe