Mango Sticky Rice
Mango Sticky Rice Recipe
For better presentation, use banana leaves (wiped with a damp cloth) to garnish and serve this dessert.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 23 mins
- 2 ripe mangoes peeled; mango flesh cubed or sliced
- 1 cup uncooked sticky rice (sweet rice, glutinous rice) soaked for at least one hour and drained
- 200 ml coconut milk
- a small pinch of salt
- 1 flat tbsp caster or super-fine sugar
- toasted sesame seeds*
* To toast sesame seeds, heat a saucepan without oil. Add sesame seeds to the pan and dry fry until golden, stirring frequently with a spatula. Keep your eyes on the sesame seeds as they turn from golden to burnt easily.
- Place bamboo basket containing drained rice in an outer pot. Steam for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce by adding coconut milk, sugar and salt in a microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM for 1 minute. Use a whisk to dissolve the sugar thoroughly. Alternatively, you may use a saucepan and prepare the sauce over the stove-top using low heat.
- Transfer steamed rice in a bowl and pour in 1/2 of the coconut sauce. Stir with a spoon to coat the rice thoroughly in the sauce. Mould the rice to rice balls if preferred.
- Arrange and plate sticky rice with mango cubes/slices. Pour the remaining sauce over and sprinkle sesame seeds before serving.
Noob Cook Tip:
Cover the bowl of steamed sticky rice with a damp slotted cloth (such as dim sum cloth) to keep the rice fresh. Use the rice as soon as possible, preferably within a few hours.