Mango Sago Pomelo 杨枝甘露
This is possibly my favourite Chinese dessert. Maybe it’s because mango is also my favourite fruit. Though I am not really into sweet foods most of the time, an exception can be said for Chinese desserts like this one. When I am having a meal at a Chinese restaurant, I’ll check out the menu if they serve this dessert and if they do, I’ll reserve some space in my tummy for it at the end of the meal. It usually cost around S$5 for a small bowl at a mid-range Chinese cafe/restaurant, and sometimes it comes with measly portions of pomelo, or to my horror, no pomelo at all. So not only is it cheap to make a huge party bowl at home, you can ensured of second helpings and generous toppings of cubed mango and pomelo.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
Adapted from Zu’s Kitchen
- 400ml mango juice (freshly squeezed using fruit juice extractor or ready made; I use Marigold PeelFresh)
- 150ml evaporated milk
- 2 large ripe honey mangoes, cubed (see photo below)
- sugar syrup by mixing 2 tbsp caster sugar with just enough hot water to dissolve
- 80g sago pearls
- Pomelo (I use the Ipoh Tambun variety), peeled and sacs separated, about 50g or more
1) Boil a pot of water to boil. Add sago and simmer for about 10 minutes. Turn off the stove, cover the pot with lid and let the sago continue to cook on its own for about 10 minutes, until all the sago turns translucent. Run the cooked sago through a fine sieve and running water to remove excess starch. Set aside. Check out this step-by-step photo tutorial for preparing sago.
2) Reserve one quarter of the cubed mangoes for garnishing (step 4). In a blender, blend the rest of the mangoes and the evaporated milk for a short while till well mixed.
3) Mix mango smoothie prepared in step 2 with mango juice. Add sugar syrup to taste. Add cooked pearl sago prepared in step 1 to the mixture. Chill in fridge.
4) To serve, portion out to individual serving bowls and garnish with pomelo sacs and cubed mangoes.
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|