Macaroni and Cheese
This is a really simple recipe for macaroni and cheese. If you love cheese as much as I do, you will certainly like this one-dish pasta delight. I’m officially hooked on baking foods since getting my new oven in December ;p
P.S. I’m hosting Presto Pasta Nights this week, details here.
Stay in touch on Instagram
Donâ€™t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
– 200g elbow macaroni
– 40g butter
– 2 tbsp flour
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– 300g shredded red cheddar cheese
– 1 piece of plain bread
– 2 cups milk
– 3 tsp grated parmesan cheese (optional)
– 1 bay leaf (optional)
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
– 1/2 tsp nutmug powder (optional)
1. Cook macaroni till al dente according to package instructions. Drain the macaroni in a colander, rinse with cold water and lay them flat on a roasting tray/casserole.
2. Use a food processor/blender to grind a piece of bread till it resembles bread crumbs. Set aside.
3. In a heated saucepan/wok, melt butter. When all the butter has melted, add in the flour and stir gently.
4. Add milk, bay leaf (optional) and continue stirring till mixture thickens.
5. Add salt, pepper and if you like the taste of the following, add them as well – cinnamon powder and nutmug powder. Add half the shredded cheese and reserve the other half for later.
6. When all the cheese has melted and the mixture is even (it should be of a slightly thick consistency), taste a bit of the mixture and season accordingly if needed. Pour the mixture over the macaroni. Stir to make sure that the macaroni is fully coated in the sauce.
7. Top the macaroni with the remaining cheddar cheese, followed by breadcrumbs (you don’t have to use all) and parmesan cheese.
8. Bake at 180C (360F) for about 30 minutes, till the sauce is bubbly and the top is slightly browned.
More oven-baked delights/baked party food recipes: