Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe Philips Airfryer Giveaway

Lemon barley drink

Lemon Barley Drink

Lemon barley drink (柠檬薏米水) is another super-easy, refreshing drink that is perfect for the hot summer weather. The barley drink tastes good with or without lemon, and I usually add some lemon juice/lemon slice before serving for  added Vitamin C and colour. Winter melon sugar complement the taste of barley more than rock sugar in my opinion, but it is not as sweet, so you can add a small amount of rock sugar, to taste, to sweeten up if you like. Barley drink has cooling properties and perfect for combating the hot weather. I remember that my mum used to make me a whole water bottle of barley water to bring to school. This is a very mild “liang teh” which can be drank often – even daily.

Lemon Barley Drink

37 Responses to “Lemon barley drink”

1. Little Corner of Mine — August 5, 2008 @ 11:48 pm

First time here, nice blog you have here! :)

I really should make this drink for my family since my mom gave me some sweet winter melon. Thanks for the reminder! ;)

2. Vegeyum Ganga — August 6, 2008 @ 5:47 am

I am going to try your recipe this morning. I have always been intrigued by barley but have not used it very much at all.

3. My Wok Life — August 6, 2008 @ 9:45 am

Dear noobcook,

Thanks for visiting, too! I left a comment on the radish with leave soup for you. Do check it out!

Btw, I have a query on your tempting barley lemon drink. May I know is there any other particular reason for choosing Chinese barley instead of pearl barley for this recipe, beside for its EXTRA cooling effect?

Thanks in advance.

4. wiffy — August 6, 2008 @ 11:55 am

Hi MWL! The guy at the Chinese medical hall told me that this particular type of Chinese barley is more cooling and suitable for our warm weather, hence ideal if you are using one type of barley. However, I think it’s ok to experiment with different types to see what’s your favourite ;)

Vegeyum: I hope u like it! Let me know if you have any suggestions ;)

LCOM: Thank you!! :XO: :-)

5. My Wok Life — August 6, 2008 @ 12:19 pm

Yes, I think I will try it with pearl barley. I have also never added with pandan leave in barley water before.

Must give it a try. I have confidence that the taste is really good one. Will keep you posted once I tried. Thanks for sharing!

6. Divya — August 6, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

Healthy refreshing drink for this scorching summer..Thanks for sending it in..

7. Vegeyum Ganga — August 7, 2008 @ 5:35 am

I made it with ordinary barley with some lemongrass and ginger and it was delicious! I think it will be a staple in our house now.

8. wiffy — August 7, 2008 @ 9:16 am

MWK: Hope u like it! Let me know if you have any feedback after trying it ;)

Divya: Thanks for hosting :)

Vegeyum: Glad u like it! ah, the addition of lemongrass and ginger sounds great! :up:

9. cindy — August 7, 2008 @ 10:59 pm

i have never had raw barley tea, only roasted, but i am sure this is just as delicious and refreshing!

10. Nate — August 8, 2008 @ 3:01 am

Good to the last kernel! I could go for a pot of that right now. I have a bit of a sore throat today.