Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe

Lemon barley drink

Lemon Barley Drink

Lemon barley drink (柠檬薏米水) is another super-easy, refreshing drink that is perfect for the hot summer weather. The barley drink tastes good with or without lemon, and I usually add some lemon juice/lemon slice before serving for  added Vitamin C and colour. Winter melon sugar complement the taste of barley more than rock sugar in my opinion, but it is not as sweet, so you can add a small amount of rock sugar, to taste, to sweeten up if you like. Barley drink has cooling properties and perfect for combating the hot weather. I remember that my mum used to make me a whole water bottle of barley water to bring to school. This is a very mild “liang teh” which can be drank often – even daily.

Lemon Barley Drink

37 Responses to “Lemon barley drink”

1 2 3 4
  1. Dee — August 5, 2008 @ 9:43 am

This is a standard at my home too. My son loves it! I skip the pandan, use melon sugar and sometimes wolfberries.
    I agree – great photo!

2. didally — August 5, 2008 @ 11:46 am

I like your teacup too! Love the blue foral print in the last photo.

It’s been some times since I boiled some barley water. Adding lemon makes the drink even more refreshing.

3. This drink is so exotic to me. I’ve never had a barley drink before. It looks refreshing!

4. rita — August 5, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

absolutely love this! a must try! :)

5. Pink Parisian — August 5, 2008 @ 3:59 pm

Ooh I love barley and you have just reminded me I should be boiling this now that its so hot here. Lovely pictures btw!

6. daphne — August 5, 2008 @ 4:21 pm

ooo. I love this drink as well. Esp ice cold! Home made is always nicer as u can adjust the level of sweetness.

7. Ning — August 5, 2008 @ 6:46 pm

I have not tried a barley drink before. But with pandan and wintermelon sticks, I’m sure this tastes good. I love your teacup!

8. juhuacha — August 5, 2008 @ 11:09 pm

Can we add winter melon together with the barley and pandan?

9. tigerfish — August 5, 2008 @ 11:17 pm

I agree. Putting the lemon just brightens up the entire picture :)
    Singapore is so hot that I need to drink more of this.

10. wiffy — August 5, 2008 @ 11:19 pm

Hi everyone, thank you for the nice comments :XO:

Dee – wow wolfberries, sounds interesting … I shall try this next time :)

PP: Yup isn’t the weather unbearable? No amount of cooling drinks is enough :o

Hi juhuacha, I usually add sugar at the last step because after boiling for half hour, the water will evaporate and you may cause the drink to be over-sweetened ;) If I’m using rock sugar (instead of melon sugar), I add them only during the last 5 minutes. :-)

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Two American Ginseng Drinks Recipes - Basic Ginseng and Ginseng Chrysanthemum | NoobCook.com

2. Pingback: NoobCook's 2008 Picks, Happy 2009! | NoobCook.com