Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Lemon barley drink

Lemon Barley Drink

Lemon barley drink (柠檬薏米水) is another super-easy, refreshing drink that is perfect for the hot summer weather. The barley drink tastes good with or without lemon, and I usually add some lemon juice/lemon slice before serving for  added Vitamin C and colour. Winter melon sugar complement the taste of barley more than rock sugar in my opinion, but it is not as sweet, so you can add a small amount of rock sugar, to taste, to sweeten up if you like. Barley drink has cooling properties and perfect for combating the hot weather. I remember that my mum used to make me a whole water bottle of barley water to bring to school. This is a very mild “liang teh” which can be drank often – even daily.

Lemon Barley Drink

37 Responses to “Lemon barley drink”

1 2 3 4
  1. Dee — August 5, 2008 @ 9:43 am

This is a standard at my home too. My son loves it! I skip the pandan, use melon sugar and sometimes wolfberries.
    I agree – great photo!

2. didally — August 5, 2008 @ 11:46 am

I like your teacup too! Love the blue foral print in the last photo.

It’s been some times since I boiled some barley water. Adding lemon makes the drink even more refreshing.

3. This drink is so exotic to me. I’ve never had a barley drink before. It looks refreshing!

4. rita — August 5, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

absolutely love this! a must try! :)

5. Pink Parisian — August 5, 2008 @ 3:59 pm

Ooh I love barley and you have just reminded me I should be boiling this now that its so hot here. Lovely pictures btw!

6. daphne — August 5, 2008 @ 4:21 pm

ooo. I love this drink as well. Esp ice cold! Home made is always nicer as u can adjust the level of sweetness.

7. Ning — August 5, 2008 @ 6:46 pm

I have not tried a barley drink before. But with pandan and wintermelon sticks, I’m sure this tastes good. I love your teacup!

8. juhuacha — August 5, 2008 @ 11:09 pm

Can we add winter melon together with the barley and pandan?

9. tigerfish — August 5, 2008 @ 11:17 pm

I agree. Putting the lemon just brightens up the entire picture :)
    Singapore is so hot that I need to drink more of this.

10. wiffy — August 5, 2008 @ 11:19 pm

Hi everyone, thank you for the nice comments :XO:

Dee – wow wolfberries, sounds interesting … I shall try this next time :)

PP: Yup isn’t the weather unbearable? No amount of cooling drinks is enough :o

Hi juhuacha, I usually add sugar at the last step because after boiling for half hour, the water will evaporate and you may cause the drink to be over-sweetened ;) If I’m using rock sugar (instead of melon sugar), I add them only during the last 5 minutes. :-)

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Two American Ginseng Drinks Recipes - Basic Ginseng and Ginseng Chrysanthemum | NoobCook.com

2. Pingback: NoobCook's 2008 Picks, Happy 2009! | NoobCook.com