Lemon barley drink
Lemon barley drink 柠檬薏米水
- Serves: makes about 4 glasses
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
This is an easy, healthy and cooling Chinese herbal drink which is great for combating the tropical heat.
- 2.5 litres water
- 200 grams raw barley rinsed until water is clear; if eating the barley, use pearl barley or holland barley
- 100 grams winter melon sugar to taste
- 2 pandan leaves tied in a knot
- lemon juice and lemon slices
- Bring a pot with 2.5 litres of water to a boil. Add washed barley and pandan leaves to the pot. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until the water is slightly milky.
- Drain and discard the pandan leaves and barley (you can leave behind a small amount if you like to eat them).
- In the last 5 minutes of simmering, add winter melon sugar to taste. Note that the winter melon will not dissolve - you can eat the winter melon for the crunchy sweet taste or you may discard it.
- Drink warm or chilled. If making lemon barley, add a few drops of lemon juice and garnish with a slice of lemon.
1. If you will like to eat the cooked barley, use pearl barley or holland barley as they are softer after cooking, compared to other varieties of barley.
2. A little lemon juice goes a long way. Add a few drops, to taste, at a time.
3. If the drink becomes too thick during simmering, add some hot water.
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|