Kani Maki (Crab Stick Sushi Roll)
Kani Maki (Crab Stick Sushi Roll) Recipe
In addition to the ingredients listed below, you also need a sushi bamboo mat (makisu; 巻簾), cling wrapped for easy cleaning.
Serves: 3 maki rolls (each roll cut into 6 pieces)
Prep Time: 15 mins
- 1/2 cup Japanese short-grain rice + sushi vinegar (to taste)
- 3 pieces 19x10cm nori (seaweed) sheet
- 4 crab sticks microwave for 2 mins; peel each crab stick to half (lengthwise)
- Japanese mayonnaise to taste
- pickled ginger, shoyu (Japanese light soy sauce) & wasabi
- Follow the sushi rice recipe to cook the rice. Divide into three equal portions.
- Place nori sheet (rough side up) on bamboo mat. Place one portion of rice on nori, distributing them in a flat layer across the nori, leaving a 5cm gap on top.
- Spread a thin strip of mayonnaise horizontally across the middle of the rice, then line the crab sticks across over the mayonnaise.
- Using a firm grip, make the maki by rolling the bamboo mat tightly halfway, then continue to roll until the maki is completed.
- Using a sharp knife moistened with water, trim both ends of the maki and then make a cut right in the middle of the roll. Further cut each half into three equal pieces. Serve maki with pickled ginger, soy sauce & wasabi at the side.
Noob Cook Tip:
Typically, nori (seaweed) sheets come in 19×20 cm sizes. By folding and cutting it in half, it becomes the ideal size for maki (19×10 cm).