Japanese Potato Salad
Japanese Potato Salad Recipe
Feel free to spice up this potato salad with more flavour such as chopped ham, onions, karashi (Japanese mustard) and chopped hard boiled egg.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber cut to thin, semi-circle slices
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 carrot peeled and cut to thin, semi-circle slices
- 2 russett potatoes peeled and quartered
- water (enough water to submerge the potatoes)
- 3 tbsp cooked corn nibblets usually tetra-pak or canned
- 3/4 cup Japanese mayonnaise
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Rub cucumber slices with salt and allow to 'sweat' for about 30 minutes. This will make the cucumbers more crunchy. Rinse, drain and squeeze dry.
- In a pot, bring water to boil. Add carrots and potatoes. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer boiled potatoes to a bowl. Use a fork to mash the potatoes, leaving some small chunks behind.
- Add corn, carrot, cucumber and Japanese mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill in fridge before serving.