Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe Philips Airfryer Giveaway

Japanese Curry

Japanese Curry
Curry & rice … a great weekday meal

This is a quick, easy and fail-safe meal to make. It is a great choice for busy weekday nights, when I want to cook something but do not want to think too hard about how/what to cook. For those who do not take spicy foods, this curry is perfect for you because it is not spicy at all, in fact it is totally sweet. You can add a little spicy chilli powder (I use R.S.T’s Queen of Chilli) if you like that added fiery kick. Making Japanese curry at home is fun to me because authentic Japanese curry that are served in Japanese eateries is sweet and I like that I can make it spicier at home to suit my own preference. I was inspired to make this after seeing how Mochachocolatarita whip up hers so effortlessly in her kitchen. So nowadays I always have the curry spice in my pantry for emergencies. This version I whipped up is with chicken, carrots, potatoes and onions, you can be creative and experiment with all kinds of ingredients.

How to cook Japanese curry
Japanese curry sauce mix

Ingredients
(Serves 3)

- 100g of Japanese curry cubes (I use S&B brand, 4 cubes which is half box, as shown in the photo above)
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut to small chunks
- 1 potato, peeled and cut to small chunks
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 200 to 300g boneless chicken fillet, cut to large chunks
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 700ml water

Directions

How to cook Japanese curry
1. Heat pot with oil. Add onions and cook till they are soft. Set aside on a plate and return the onions at step 4 (I am using a wok so I just push them to one side of the wok).

How to cook Japanese curry
2. Place chicken pieces (you should cut them bigger than mine because mine is too small) in a single layer in the wok. Let the chicken pieces brown on one side (do not toss and turn or stir fry it). This will allow extra flavours to be released.

How to cook Japanese curry
3. After one side of the chicken is browned, turn them to the other side using a pair of kitchen tongs and again, cooked till the pieces are browned. Add potato and carrot chunks, mix everything evenly.

How to cook Japanese curry

How to cook Japanese curry
4. Add water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes (with lid partially closed; mine is fully closed because it has an air vent) or till potatoes are cooked.

How to cook Japanese curry
5. Add the Japanese curry cubes and stir through till dissolved. Because both the curry mix and the potatoes are starchy, at this point in time you probably need to add more water to achieve the consistency you like. Season it to taste if desired (example adding sauces or chilli powder). Warm through the curry before serving.

Japanese Curry
Final product – easy Japanese curry meal, served with rice

101 Responses to “Japanese Curry”

1. Bless — January 28, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

This inspired me! Will try it out tomorrow!

I’m loving your blog. Everything looks so delicious!

Thanks for sharing your recipe’s.

2. Alexient — March 23, 2011 @ 5:55 am

I love Japanese curry too! Usually I make mine using beef cubes and I’ll substitute potatoes with daikon and add shitake mushrooms. Daikon is juicy but gotta skin it really well and cook long enough so it won’t leave a bitter taste. Sometimes, I’ll dice apples too, it’s crunchy and sweet and goes really well with the curry. And instead of using cooking oil, I’ll stir fry the ingredients with butter. It’s really aromatic.

• wiffy replied: — March 23rd, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Great tips! I shall try your version when I cook Japanese curry next time :))

3. cestaindz — April 10, 2011 @ 5:12 am

What is the serving size for this recipe?

4. cestaindz — April 19, 2011 @ 10:13 am

I am going to cook this for 6 people and need to know the serving size so I know how much more ingredients I am going to need.

• wiffy replied: — April 19th, 2011 @ 10:17 am

hi, sorry for my late reply. The recipe cooks for roughly 3 persons. The serving size is indicated in the recipe itself, ingredients section.

• cestaindz replied: — April 19th, 2011 @ 11:58 pm

Thanks for that I totally didn’t see that. Looking forward to making it.

5. cestaindz — May 11, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Turned out great thanks for posting the recipe.

6. Michelle — September 17, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

Hello Wiffy, it’s 2x in a day that I’m using your recipes :-) sambal kangkong for lunch and Joe, Japanese curry for dinner ….my boys are happy that we have different ‘never cooked at home before’ dishes :-) thank you!

7. MKM — September 18, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

thumbs up!! it was yummy! hb n son loved it! Thx for the ez step by step instructions…u r so kind ^^

8. PC — October 3, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Hi wiffy! may I ask after you added the curry cubes do u need to simmer for very long for the entire curry to turn starchy? Seems like potato is a must have ingredient in order to make the curry thicken? I tried before w/o the potato and it remains watery. I tot I failed as I did not proceed to wait =(

• wiffy replied: — October 4th, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

no I didn’t simmer very long. I have not tried without potatoes but I think without shouldn’t make so much difference. Did you measure the water? How about reducing the water next time?

• PC replied: — October 5th, 2011 @ 8:12 am

thanks wiffy! I will try again n let you know if i succeed =)

• Jessica replied: — November 19th, 2011 @ 3:23 am

I have made curry with and without potatoes and it doesn’t make the curry watery. The problem is how much water you’ve added. I do recommend you to use less water or more curry cubes :)

9. Hans van Dam — October 19, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Where to buy the curry in the Netherland?

Hans

10. Hans van Dam — October 19, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

Waar is de japanse curry te koop in nederland?
    De curry die we gebruiken stuurt onze dochter op uit Japan en is Japanse curry van House

• guest replied: — December 4th, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

You can get it from any asian grocery store