Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

[Video] How to cut a flower pattern on a mushroom

I’m so excited because this is my first “cooking video”, well more of a cooking preparation video. They say a picture speaks a thousand words, but when it comes to cooking, I think nothing can tell a story  better than a video. This is a short video showing you how to cut a flower pattern on a mushroom for decorative purpose. You may have seen such “groomed” mushrooms in steamboat and sukiyaki, and they are really pretty to look at. This is a request from reader Lorraine.

I’m totally clueless when it comes to videos, so even though this clip is less than 1 minute, we took the whole weekend to produce it. There is a lot of room for improvement. Please give me your honest feedback, and tell me how I can improve in future. If you have any suggestions on what kind of videos you would like to see, feel free to let me know via comments. More instructional videos to come I hope, so stay tuned :)

19 Responses to “[Video] How to cut a flower pattern on a mushroom”

1. Janice — May 23, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Love the video. Clear and easy to understand.. And the music is a great touch! Great job! Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — May 23rd, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

thanks so much for your encouragement :)

2. kisetsu — May 23, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

Wow, I din know you like Nujabes! =D

I’m so gonna try this technique. It looks so easy. Hope I can get it right. =)

• wiffy replied: — May 23rd, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

that’s the soundtrack off Samurai Champloo, I loved the entire soundtrack and his music. do you know he was killed in an accident last year? really sad news :~(

• kisetsu replied: — May 23rd, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Yes, he passed away. I like his style of music. Always go to youtube to listen to his tracks. Oh, Samurai Champloo… I think I read that comic before.

• wiffy replied: — May 25th, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

the anime is better than the manga, because of the soundtrack and hip-hop style… try to catch it ;)

3. HoppingHammy — May 23, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

Ahhh so excited to click on this and see wiffy in action! :D So you got a video cam now? What a great idea to demonstrate how a flower pattern is done on a mushroom. I’d love to see more demonstrations like this.

Can’t think of any improvements to make on this video…great job!

• wiffy replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

Nope, it’s the video feature that comes with my micro-four thirds camera :D Thank you for your words of encouragement to a total video noob! :)

4. Life for Beginners — May 23, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

As they say, we feast with our eyes before we feed with our mouths… so it’s nice to have some foods “decorated” before we dine on them. Nice one, this! :)

5. Norma — May 23, 2011 @ 11:18 pm

I am impressed….

6. daphne — May 24, 2011 @ 7:15 am

oooo congrats on your clear and succinct video! You are doing a great job in making cooking accessible to all.

7. SamAntha — May 24, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

Love it n thought it was well made and even better than those done by eHow!!! Thanks a gazillion n it so happens I am trying out the taucheo veg recipe for dinner late n will try to embellish w the mushroom later!

The instructions -short and terse, flashed across the screen is way better than voiceovers!

Keep em coming

• wiffy replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

thanks for your kind words, first time making a video and hope to improve them with time :)

8. tigerfish — May 24, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

I like the video too. At least you still take pride in carving out mushrooms and carrots…hee hee….

Me. No.

9. pigpigscorner — May 25, 2011 @ 5:00 am

Very nice! Video really helps a lot when it comes to things like this. Thanks for the tutorial!

10. Little Corner of Mine — May 26, 2011 @ 1:36 am

What a great tutorial video!