Tuna Pasta Recipe Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe

Hotate Mentaiyaki

Hotate Mentaiyaki

Check Out: Mentaiko Pasta Recipe

When I am in the mood to treat myself, I will add mentaiko (marinated pollock roe; see photo on page 2) to my shopping basket. Besides making a quick & super-indulgent mentaiko pasta with it, my other favourite use is to bake half-shelled scallops in mentaiko sauce, aka Hotate Meitakiyaki. If serving scallops in half shells is beautiful, there must be a word beyond beautiful for scallops baked with mentaiko sauce – I simply adore the orange hue. I love to order this dish at Japanese restaurants, but they are pricier than home-cooked and usually not too generous with the fish roe. So I am really happy that I can make this at home easily – only taking about 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake in the oven. If you love scallops served in half-shells, check out the following recipes: Chinese-style Steamed Scallops with Vermicelli &Β Baked Scallops with Cheese.

Hotate Mentaiyaki

21 Responses to “Hotate Mentaiyaki”

1. Jasmine — March 14, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Where do you normally buy your mentaiko from? So far I’ve only managed to buy during the Japanese food fairs at Isetan..

• wiffy replied: — March 14th, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

Hi Jasmine, you can purchase mentaiko from the supermarket located at Isetan Scotts, Singapore. It’s available whole year round :)
      P.S Just added this information to the cooking notes of this recipe.

• Grace replied: — March 15th, 2012 @ 12:19 am

it look very delicious! How much the mentaiko usualy cost?

• wiffy replied: — March 15th, 2012 @ 10:15 am

the pack I bought (see photo on page two) costs abt S$14. usually within S$10-S$20 depends on the weight.

• Jasmine replied: — March 17th, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

Thanks for your reply! I figured Isetan Scotts is the only place I can get mentaiko in SG, was hoping there would be some place else =P

• wiffy replied: — March 17th, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

no problem, oh just remembered Sakuraya sells frozen mentaiko too, you can check it out. I buy before, but personally prefer the quality of the mentaiko from Isetan.

• kisetsu replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Wiffy – Anywhere in the east sells mentaiko? Not fancy going all the way to central and west side to buy. =.=

• wiffy replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

hey kisetsu, not sure … Cold Storage at Tampines 1 may have? There is a Sakuraya at Parkway Parade too.

2. kristy — March 14, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

Wow, what a lovely site you have here. Glad to have found you.
    Have a lovely evening.
    Kristy

3. Little Corner of Mine — March 14, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

Looks delicious! Love the baked scallop in this.

4. tigerfish — March 15, 2012 @ 9:39 am

I never even tried mentaiko before, not to talk about the sauce made from it :O

5. Loveforfood — March 15, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I love the flavours you’ve used here – so clean and fresh and perfect for this time of year!

6. TasteHongKong — March 15, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

Scallop plus fish roe – how unami it could be : )! The mentaiko roe together with mayonnaise have made a lovely hue.

7. Angie@Angie's Recipes — March 16, 2012 @ 3:05 am

You bet I love SCALLOPS! These look so pretty and appetizing!

8. mochachocolatarita — March 16, 2012 @ 10:01 am

omg yummm!!! i need to follow this! can’t bake in shell? (lazy question heheh)

• wiffy replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

yes I think can — just put the scallops in a fitting daiso baking dish and slap the sauce over to bake hehe

9. Ju — March 16, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Do I need to bake the scallop first? Can I combine all the ingredients and bake? I am also very lazy. Tks.

10. shirley@kokken69 — March 17, 2012 @ 10:08 am

My favourite elements are all here, Hotate and Mentaiko! Loving it!