Steamed 3 eggs with pork recipe Shrimp & Egg Fried Rice Recipe Stir-fry Lotus Root Recipe Mala Xiang Guo (Sichuan Spicy Numbing Stir-fry) Recipe Mala Xiang Guo Ingredients Hai Di Lao Mala Sauce

Hotate Mentaiyaki

Hotate Mentaiyaki

When I am in the mood for a treat, I will add mentaiko or marinated pollock roe to my shopping basket. Besides making a quick & super-indulgent mentaiko pasta with it, my other favourite use is to bake half-shelled scallops in mentaiko sauce, aka Hotate Meitaiyaki.

See Also:

If serving scallops in half shells is beautiful, there must be a word beyond beautiful for scallops baked with mentaiko sauce – I simply adore the pastel orange hue when baked. I love to order this dish at Japanese restaurants, but they are often pricey and stingy with the fish roe. So I am really happy that I can make this at home easily – only taking about 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake in the oven.

Hotate Mentaiyaki

22 Responses to “Hotate Mentaiyaki”

1. Jasmine — March 14, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Where do you normally buy your mentaiko from? So far I’ve only managed to buy during the Japanese food fairs at Isetan..

• wiffy replied: — March 14th, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

Hi Jasmine, you can purchase mentaiko from the supermarket located at Isetan Scotts, Singapore. It’s available whole year round :)
      P.S Just added this information to the cooking notes of this recipe.

• Grace replied: — March 15th, 2012 @ 12:19 am

it look very delicious! How much the mentaiko usualy cost?

• wiffy replied: — March 15th, 2012 @ 10:15 am

the pack I bought (see photo on page two) costs abt S$14. usually within S$10-S$20 depends on the weight.

• Jasmine replied: — March 17th, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

Thanks for your reply! I figured Isetan Scotts is the only place I can get mentaiko in SG, was hoping there would be some place else =P

• wiffy replied: — March 17th, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

no problem, oh just remembered Sakuraya sells frozen mentaiko too, you can check it out. I buy before, but personally prefer the quality of the mentaiko from Isetan.

• kisetsu replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Wiffy – Anywhere in the east sells mentaiko? Not fancy going all the way to central and west side to buy. =.=

• wiffy replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

hey kisetsu, not sure … Cold Storage at Tampines 1 may have? There is a Sakuraya at Parkway Parade too.

2. kristy — March 14, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

Wow, what a lovely site you have here. Glad to have found you.
    Have a lovely evening.
    Kristy

3. Little Corner of Mine — March 14, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

Looks delicious! Love the baked scallop in this.

4. tigerfish — March 15, 2012 @ 9:39 am

I never even tried mentaiko before, not to talk about the sauce made from it :O

5. Loveforfood — March 15, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I love the flavours you’ve used here – so clean and fresh and perfect for this time of year!

6. TasteHongKong — March 15, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

Scallop plus fish roe – how unami it could be : )! The mentaiko roe together with mayonnaise have made a lovely hue.

7. mochachocolatarita — March 16, 2012 @ 10:01 am

omg yummm!!! i need to follow this! can’t bake in shell? (lazy question heheh)

• wiffy replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

yes I think can — just put the scallops in a fitting daiso baking dish and slap the sauce over to bake hehe

8. Ju — March 16, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Do I need to bake the scallop first? Can I combine all the ingredients and bake? I am also very lazy. Tks.