Hotate Mentaiyaki Recipe
A delightfully beautiful and delicious Japanese baked scallops with mentaiko sauce.
Serves: 2 (as a side-dish)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 5 half-shelled scallops if using frozen, thaw before use
- 60 grams mentaiko sacs aka pollock roe (明太子 )
- 1 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 40 grams shredded mozzarella cheese
- a few stalks hon-shimeji mushrooms ends trimmed; optional
- Remove scallop meat from the shell, rinse the meat thoroughly and remove any dirty bits. Scald the scallop shells in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes to disinfect, discard hot water and rinse the shells. Return scallop meat to the shell.
- Make a slit on the mentaiko sac and scrap out the roe with a spoon or the back of a small knife. Discard the membrane. Combine mentaiko roe with mayonnaise in a small bowl; stir to combine.
- Place scallops on a foil-lined oven tray. Bake scallops in pre-heated oven of 200°C (392°F) for 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, carefully drain the scallop broth collected in the shells in a small bowl. You may use the broth for flavouring other dishes.
- Divide and scatter a layer of cheese on top of each scallops, followed by the mentaiko mixture. Garnish each scallop with 1 to 2 stalks of hon-shimeji mushrooms.
- Return scallops to oven and continue baking for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the edges are slightly browned.
Noob Cook Tips
- You can use either spicy mentaiko (karashi mentaiko/(辛子明太子) (my preferred type; used in this recipe) or non-spicy version for this recipe.
- There is a no-colouring type of mentaiko, so if you prefer the orange hue which is recommended for this recipe, make sure to buy the right type.
- You can purchase mentaiko from the supermarket located at Isetan Scotts, Singapore.