Homemade Vanilla Extract
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Homemade Vanilla Extract Recipe
Homemade vanilla extract is unbeatable in terms of both price and quality. It will never run out because you can simply top up with more pods and vodka as you use it: a never-ending supply!
- 12 vanilla pods
- 400 ml vodka
- 500 ml tall glass bottle with tight-fitting lid
- Make a slit along the middle length of the pod to expose the seeds, while still keeping the entire pod intact.
- Add pods into the glass bottle and using a funnel, pour vodka to fill the bottle. Cap the bottle (I am using a wine stopper above).
- Shake the bottle now and then. Wait – your homemade vanilla extract will be ready in about 3 to 6 months’ time.
- Top up with more pods and vodka as you use, in this way, you will have a never-ending supply! my bottle is now about 3 years old!
Noob Cook Tips
- For best results, use a tall narrow bottle so that the extract will be more concentrated.
- In case you are wondering, I bought my vanilla pods from eBay (this is not an affliate link) – the beans are high quality and much cheaper than in SG, even after shipping charges. In Singapore, you can buy them from gourmet supermarkets and Phoon Huat.
- Be patient and give your home-made vanilla extract time for the flavour to set in. Top up with more vanilla pods to improve the flavour.