Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Hawaiian Baked Rice

Hawaiian Baked Rice
“Hawaiian” (pineapples and ham) baked rice with cheese … delicious & comforting

I hadn’t plan to make or post a baked rice recipe so soon after making sausage baked rice, but I had leftover pineapples and ham from making hawaiian pizza (recipe coming soon, stay tuned) and this seems like the perfect use of the leftover ingredients. Plus, baked rice is a family favourite which never fails to please. I consider baked rice in the “safe foods” category so I make it when I want to eat something good. Besides chicken & mushroom, broccoli-potato-sausage as well as sausage, this is another combination of ingredients that work well for baked rice. I’m not sure if this applies in other countries as well, but over here, it seems that as long as there are pineapples and ham in a dish, the eateries will name the dish as “hawaiian” in the menu. Clichรฉ as it may be, pineapple & ham is a tried-and-tested and wonderful food pairing nevertheless.

Hawaiian Baked Rice
A whole tray of hawaiian baked rice … baked rice is wonderful party food

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- Water to cook rice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
- 2 to 3 slices of ham, cut to small squares
- 15g butter (or use olive oil for healthier version)
- generous tablespoons mushroom soup (I use Campbell’s, straight from the can – no need to mix with water or cook)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (about 150g)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (about 150g)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (garnishing)

Directions
1. Wash and rinse uncooked rice until water runs clear.
2. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the washed rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
3. Wait for the rice mixture to cool, then transfer to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the pineapples and sliced ham, saving some as toppings. Portion out the rice into oven-safe baking dishes (you can also use disposable aluminium tray) until about half the depth of the dish.
5. Smear some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese followed by the rest of the pineapples and ham.
6. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200C (392F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley if desired.

Hawaiian Baked Rice
Ok ignore the cocktail umbrella … I know it is a “cheesy” prop :P

Other baked rice recipes:
- Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
- Sausage Baked Rice
- Broccoli, Potato and Sausage Baked Rice

57 Responses to “Hawaiian Baked Rice”

1. oneshotbeyond — October 14, 2009 @ 12:01 am

great idea! Seems like a perfect way to serve leftover rice too.

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 8:40 am

that’s right. In fact any other ingredients besides the rice that you have leftover, can go into the baked rice too

2. carrie — October 14, 2009 @ 1:21 am

why do you need to wait for the rice to cool down before cooking?

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 8:41 am

Hi Carrie, I’m not sure about your rice cooker, but for mine, it cooks via temperature sensor. So if the rice is hot from the stir frying, and I put it into the rice cooker immediately, it thought that the rice is already cooked right after I put it in, or it cooked for only 5 minutes.

3. Bob — October 14, 2009 @ 1:47 am

Oh wow, that looks wicked good. I love Hawaiian pizza, I can only imagine I’d love this!

4. Juliana — October 14, 2009 @ 4:07 am

I love this combination of ham and pineapple…this dish looks so delicious…never had this way. Nice pictures!

5. Dee — October 14, 2009 @ 10:16 am

Haha, over here it’s the same: Pineapple+ham=Hawaiian :)
    I missed you, and am so glad you stopped by.

I’ve never cooked a baked rice but I think Eli would love it. Would need to throw in some veg to make it a one dish meal. Peas? Spinach? What do you reckon?

By the way, I’ve some leftover cooked sticky (pulut) rice in the fridge. Any suggestions?

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 11:02 am

hey! :) I’ve added button mushrooms to mine before (stir fry for a few minutes before frying the rice) and it tastes good.

Ah, I’ve never prepared sticky rice before. sticky rice and red date pudding? thai sticky rice with jack fruits? hehe I can’t wait to see what you whip up ;)

6. Pepy @ Indonesia Eats — October 14, 2009 @ 11:32 am

the picture’s style is so you!
    the food remids me of nasi goreng nanas (pineapple fried rice)

7. sweetiepie — October 14, 2009 @ 12:35 pm

Hawaiian pizza is my fav.I am sure my family and i will love to try this dish.Looks yummy and simple to make!

8. The Little Teochew — October 14, 2009 @ 4:21 pm

How cute is that??? The “Hawaiian” combo of pineapples and ham always works. You are really into baked rice, eh? ;) Can’t blame you … you always make such delish-looking versions.

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 10:07 pm

yes, really into baked rice! I think I should restrain myself for the next month (or at least post something else) ;)

9. jane — October 14, 2009 @ 6:40 pm

wa … looks yummylicious!
    I’m doing this for dinner on sunday… heeeee
    Showed my bf this photo, and he’s so looking forward to it…!! How i wish mine will turn out as nice!! kudos to you!

10. jane — October 14, 2009 @ 6:41 pm

btw. does this serve 4-6 BIG people, or really SMALL one?
    Scare we can’t finish…

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 10:06 pm

big or small? haha it’s so subjective :P But I think it should be greedy or not greedy lol

I would say it will serve 4 very greedy people, and 6 not-so-greedy people, lol

let me know how it goes k ;) Hope you like the recipe.