Hawaiian Baked Rice
I hadn’t plan to make or post a baked rice recipe so soon after making sausage baked rice, but I had leftover pineapples and ham from making hawaiian pizza (recipe coming soon, stay tuned) and this seems like the perfect use of the leftover ingredients. Plus, baked rice is a family favourite which never fails to please. I consider baked rice in the “safe foods” category so I make it when I want to eat something good. Besides chicken & mushroom, broccoli-potato-sausage as well as sausage, this is another combination of ingredients that work well for baked rice. I’m not sure if this applies in other countries as well, but over here, it seems that as long as there are pineapples and ham in a dish, the eateries will name the dish as “hawaiian” in the menu. Cliché as it may be, pineapple & ham is a tried-and-tested and wonderful food pairing nevertheless.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- Water to cook rice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
- 2 to 3 slices of ham, cut to small squares
- 15g butter (or use olive oil for healthier version)
- generous tablespoons mushroom soup (I use Campbell’s, straight from the can – no need to mix with water or cook)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (about 150g)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (about 150g)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (garnishing)
1. Wash and rinse uncooked rice until water runs clear.
2. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the washed rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
3. Wait for the rice mixture to cool, then transfer to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the pineapples and sliced ham, saving some as toppings. Portion out the rice into oven-safe baking dishes (you can also use disposable aluminium tray) until about half the depth of the dish.
5. Smear some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese followed by the rest of the pineapples and ham.
6. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200C (392F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley if desired.
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|