Luncheon Meat (Spam) Fried Rice
Luncheon Meat Fried Rice Recipe
For best results when cooking fried rice, use cooked rice that has been refrigerated overnight. If you do not like the idea of overnight rice , you can also use freshly cooked rice which has been refrigerated for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Refrigerating the rice keeps the grains dry so that they won’t stick to each other during stir frying. Alternatively, ‘tabao’ (takeaway) extra rice the day before, for making fried rice the next day.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 400 grams cooked long-grain rice (1 cup uncooked rice cooked in 1 cup of water) refrigerated overnight
- 1 x 350 grams tin of luncheon meat or spam (午餐肉) diced (optional; pan fry spam slices until browned before dicing)
- 2 eggs beaten with 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, corn) microwave for 2 minutes; drain water
- 1-2 tbsp cooking oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 5 shallots peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- chopped spring onions for garnishing
- Grease a wok or pan with a bit of oil or cooking spray, and cook the egg by swirling the pan to spread it as thinly as possible. When both sides of the egg are cooked, take it out, dice the omelette and set aside.
- Heat oil, stir fry shallots and garlic until the shallots are translucent.
- Add rice and using the back of the spatula or tuner, break up all the rice lumps. Add light soy sauce, oyster sauce, luncheon met and thaw vegetables. Stir fry until everything is evenly mixed.
- Add cooked egg and mix well. Garnish with chopped spring onions before serving.
Noob Cook Tip:
Instead of overnight refrigerated rice, you can also use freshly cooked rice which has been refrigerated for at least 2 hours.