Eight Treasures Tea 八宝茶
Eight Treasures Tea or Ba Bao Cha (八宝茶) is a famous Chinese herbal tea originating from Yunnan China. The royal and auspicious sounding “8 treasures” refer to the 8 ingredients used, and the tea is said to be Empress Dowager Cixi’s secret recipe for beauty, longevity and youthfulness. In my home blend, the special eight consists of: jasmine tea leaves, chrysanthemum, red dates, ginseng, wolfberries, longan, rose buds and rock sugar (check out the ingredients photo on page two). This light-tasting and soothing tea, like its lux name, is also aesthetically beautiful to look at, making me feel pampered drinking it.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
Said properties of the tea include: thirst-quenching, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, detoxifying and “qi” balancing properties; improves appetite & digestion; reduces fatigue (depending on the ingredients you use).
Eight Treasures Tea Recipe
- Serves: one 350ml tea pot (4 tea cups Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
Eight Treasures Tea (Ba Bao Cha) is a soothing Chinese herbal tea consisting of a special blend of 8 ingredients. Feel free to tweak the recipe by substituting or adjusting the quantity of ingredients to suit your preference.
- 1/2 cup + 4 chrysanthemum flowers (菊花/朵朵香)
- 1 tsp + 4 rose buds (玫瑰)
- 1 tsp + 16 wolfberries (杞子)
- 4 + 4 red dates (红枣)
- 4 + 4 ginseng slices (花旗蔘片/洋参片)
- 4 + 4 dried longan (龙眼)
- 12 small pieces of rock sugar (冰糖) to taste
- 300 ml hot boiling water
- 1 tbsp jasmine green tea leaves (香片)
- Prepare four serving tea cups. In each cup, add 1 chrysanthemum flower, 1 rose bud, 4 wolfberries, 1 red date, 1 ginseng slice, 1 dried longan and 3 small pieces of rock sugar.
- Pour hot water into 350ml capacity tea pot with filter bag containing tea leaves and the remaining ingredients. Allow the tea to infuse/seep for a few minutes. Pour hot tea into serving cups. Make a second pot of tea by topping up with hot water and rock sugar as needed.
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|