MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe

Fried Rice with Char Siu & Baby Kailan

Egg Fried Rice with Char Siu and Baby Kailan
Colourful and delicious egg fried rice with char siu & baby kailan

This is a slightly more elaborate version of my basic 10-minute fried rice recipe. It’s a wonderful way for me to use up the leftover char siu (Chinese-flavored barbecued pork; 叉烧) and baby kailan (小芥兰) in my fridge. The end result is really pretty, as both the char siu and baby kailan added some really vibrant colours & taste to the humble egg fried rice. This is such an easy recipe, it can be whipped up in less than 15 minutes. This is an egg-cellent fuss-free and delicious one-dish dinner for me.

Egg Fried Rice with Char Siu and Baby Kailan
Ingredients (top to bottom): Baby kailan, char siu and garlic

Ingredients
(serves 2)

- 2 servings cooked rice (about 200g), refrigerated overnight
- 1 egg, beaten, seasoned with 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 100g char siu (Chinese-flavored barbecued pork; 叉烧), diced
- 4 baby kailan leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 3 shallots, chopped finely
- salt, to taste

Directions
1. Heat oil and stir fry garlic & shallots until the latter is translucent.
2. Add cooked rice, using the back of the spatula or turner to flatten the rice balls so that they are separated.
3. Pour egg mixture over the rice evenly and use high heat to stir fry the rice until the fried rice is dry.
4. Add char siu and baby kailan and stir fry until the kailan is cooked. Season with salt to taste (if needed).

Egg Fried Rice with Char Siu and Baby Kailan

52 Responses to “Fried Rice with Char Siu & Baby Kailan”

1. Von — March 3, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

simple things in life are so loveable! and this is definitley one! ;) your posts are always a pleasure to read!

• wiffy replied: — March 6th, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

Thank you! Yes I enjoy the simple pleasures too :)

2. Marysol — March 3, 2010 @ 11:20 pm

NC, your Fried Rice not only looks delicious, it also brings back childhood memories.
    I was first introduced to fried rice in Cuba. True. There were many Chinese restaurants on the island.
    And my mom (who’s actually Spaniard [I couldn't make this up]) was a big fan of fried rice. So, she took it upon herself to replicate her favorite Chinese dish, serving it to us kids, on a regular basis.

Mom’s Fried Rice was—almost—as good as the restaurant’s. And it is still one of my favorite dishes to this day.

• wiffy replied: — March 6th, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

Your mom’s fried rice sounds awesome. Have you ever featured it? Would love to see the recipe one day. Thank you for your comment :)

3. mycookinghut — March 4, 2010 @ 2:28 am

Nice plate of fried rice there! Love the idea of using char siu!

4. ippo456 — March 4, 2010 @ 3:22 am

Hey that looks good & can be eaten as breakfast/lunch/dinner.
    You think you can post how to make char siu from scratch next time?
    I’ve tried making it from scratch but it never tastes like the ones you buy.

• wiffy replied: — March 6th, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

I’ve not made char siu before because the ones here are cheap and good hehe

You can check out my friend’s Rasa Malaysia char siu recipe – it looks good!

5. Ching — March 4, 2010 @ 4:17 am

Looks delicious! I love any kind of fried rice.

6. lisaiscooking — March 4, 2010 @ 5:57 am

This is a great use of leftovers, and I love fried rice!

7. Anh — March 4, 2010 @ 7:40 am

I normally cook extra rice to make fried rice! Just love it.

• wiffy replied: — March 6th, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

yes same here. sometimes i deliberately cook extra left to make fried rice the next day.

8. Big Boys Oven — March 4, 2010 @ 8:53 am

wow this is something I have when I was young, lovely to have them straight from the hot wok! :) drooling with love!

9. Memoria — March 4, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Oh, yeah. I must must must make this soon. Your photos are fantastic and so tempting. Thank you for sharing such a fantastic recipe.

10. tasteofbeirut — March 4, 2010 @ 10:45 am

I like this rice a lot; I was interested by your blog all the more so when I found out you are from Singapore; this is where my brother, wife and kids live!