Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Easy Baked Mackerel (Saba Fish)

Baked Mackeral

Check Out: Miso Salmon Recipe

Some time back, I saw maameemoomoo’s grilled saba with teriyaki sauce recipe, and I fell in love with it. Her grilled fish not only looked so deliciously beautiful, I also like the fact that they were oven-baked instead of grilled or pan-fried on the stove, saving lots of effort. My version, ever the lazy one, involves seasoning the fish with basic salt and pepper. This is a quick way to sneak in one more side dish to the dinner table effortlessly.

Baked Mackeral

29 Responses to “Easy Baked Mackerel (Saba Fish)”

1. daphne — September 21, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

ooo.. baking it looks just as good as grilling it. I’m intrigued since baking means less fuss!

2. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — September 22, 2011 @ 6:13 am

I don’t cook fish nearly as much as I should — thanks for the easy recipe!

3. Sherie @ maameemoomoo — September 22, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Pretty shots!! Makes me wanna grill this fish SOON!

Easy dishes, don’t just love them? :)

4. neuros — September 22, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

That’s a delicious way of doing saba – goes esp well with lemon chilli!

Where do you get fresh saba fillets? I’ve always only seen frozen ones from the supermarket but would love to get my hands on the fresh stuff. Is it from the wet market? If so, what’s it called in chinese?

• wiffy replied: — September 23rd, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

if you want fresh fillets, get from the wet market (I am assuming you are from Singapore too), tell the uncle you want saba and he’ll probably fillet them for you.

• neuros replied: — September 23rd, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

yes, I’m from Singapore too. :)

really? i’ve never seen it in the wet market though. thought there might be a “local” name for it like batang / ngor hng etc. ok – i’ll try next time. thanks!

5. MaryMoh — September 22, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

I love baked fish too. They just taste SO good. Also, no greasy kitchen to clean up. I had just bought 2 rainbow trouts and going to bake for dinner later.

6. masterofboots — September 23, 2011 @ 8:45 am

It’s kinda a stupid question, but is mackeral the same as the ‘batang’ fish we see at NTUC? I get so confused by the different names used! I’ve never seen any fresh fish labelled ‘mackeral’ at NTUC.

• wiffy replied: — September 23rd, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

it’s not stupid at all. I don’t think it’s batang, should be saba. If you check out the frozen seafood section, you should see this fish vacuum pack (not sure the labelled name but the appearance is distinctive) :)

• masterofboots replied: — September 26th, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

great! anyway frozen is cheaper too:)

7. peachkins — September 23, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Have fun on your vacation!

8. HoppingHammy — September 24, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

Wow this actually does look and sound very easy! Love your pretty lime garnishes too!

9. The Guerilla Griller — September 25, 2011 @ 2:34 am

Lovely, simple and tasty. I’m pretty lucky that I can get fresh mackerel any time I like; they’re common in UK waters, and quite cheap. As a tip to get rid of the pesky pin bones (if your fishmonger won’t do it for you – you can always ask) is do V-cut them. Lie the fillets flesh side up, so that you can see/feel the strip of fine bones along the middle. Use a sharp knife and cut along the fillet on both sides of the strip of pin bones, angling the knife in slightly – take care not to pierce the skin. You should now be able to peel out a thin V-shape bit of flesh along with all the bones, leaving your fillet completely boneless. It’s much easier to do than to describe – a matter of seconds a fillet.

10. jo — September 26, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

Yummy, simple and looks so delicious! The skin of the fish has a nice golden brown colour and looks crispy as well. Delicious with just a slight squeeze of lemon and a hot bowl of steaming rice.