Easy Baked Mackerel (Saba Fish)
Easy Baked Mackerel Recipe
This recipe has only a handful key ingredients: mackeral fish fillets, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 2 mackerel (saba) fillets (if using frozen, thaw before use)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- one lime (halved) or 2 lemon wedges
Condiment (Serving Suggestion)
- ponzu sauce
- grated daikon (white radish)
- pastry brush
- baking tray
- parchment paper
- Pull out any bones from the mackerel fillet using kitchen tweezers.
- Brush olive oil with a pastry brush over the mackerel skin. Season the fillet with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper for easy cleaning. Place mackerel fillets skin side up. Bake the fillets at preheated oven of 200°C (392°F) for about 20 minutes, or until the skin starts to brown & crisp. Serve with lime and a side condiment of ponzu sauce.
Noob Cook Tips
- Feel free to cook more fillets, just make sure they occupy one layer on the baking tray.
- If you like a simple Japanese dip, you can add some grated daikon to a small saucer of light soy sauce or ponzo sauce.